Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ATV disk reviews

Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 PM

Default ATV disk reviews

Looking to purchase something THAT WORKS!! I have priced these and they all seem to hover around the $500-$600 price range. Northern Tool has quite a few, but I have heard that some rock too much when being towed, or others that simply don't work. I know that a tractor is the right way to go - but, like many others here, I only have a ATV (400cc). Could anyone that has an ATV disk please post the brand name of the disksand their satisfaction in the product. The disks will be used for 1/8 - 1/2 acre plots, deep in the woods where tractors can't go.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 AM

Default RE: ATV disk reviews

OK - I'll go first. Last year I purchased an Agri-Fab diskcultivator from Lowe's. The cost was $159. The unit has 6 disks, and the angle of the disksare adjustable. There is a tray to add weight, and it uses a sleeve hitch (pin)for a connection. There are no wheels to transport it. DO NOT use this disk to break new ground - it won't work unless it's soggy. When weight was added to the tray (2 cinder blocks) the single reinforcement arms that holds the disks in place bent after it "walked" a few times. The arms are easily bent back into place using a 2x4 between the disks, but I had to do this repeatedly for all disks to touch the ground. I have made two food plots using this - with decent end results; however, it took me forever to do each one. Each plot was 1/4 acre - total time to complete each one - about5 hours. I would not recommend this disk to anyone, unless you want it solely to cover seed, or work fertilizer, ect. into already worked ground. It is not a durable unit in the slightest. In order to get the soil to turn over, I had to disk when the ground was wet. Don't even consider using this disk if there is vegetation present (even dead vegetation)- the ground must be bare, and preferably scoured in some fashion.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Rose,
I have a flip-over gang type disk. It works well on moist soil but not so well with hard, dry soil. It weights approximately 250 lbs. I had posted an inquiry earlier about the new Groundhog disk from Monroe Tufline. From their promotional ad, it appears to be capable of disking hard soil. I was hoping to hear from someone that had used one. Other than the Groundhog, I don't believe their is an ATV disk that is capable of disking up hard ground.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

i wanted to start making food plots for the last two years. Only problem was i was lacking a fourwheeler and an implement of tillage capabilities. The plows and disk harrows were extreamly expensive for a college kid so i decided to make my own and trade my buddy the use of the disc for the use of his fourwheeler. The plot we made by first mowing tall grass and spraying roundup in late june. two weeks later we raked all dead grass and disked and planted. the plot didn't take off till late august till we got some rain. Now it looks like a garden. if someone wants to see the pictures let me know and i will email them. the picture editor won't let me upload them 'casue i don't know how to resieze the them below 100 kb.
[email protected]
cabage
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Plotmaster
I've had it for several years and has worked great for me. I'd recommend a 600cc or larger ATV, even though they advertise it working with a 400cc. My only, and I mean only, complaint is that it wobbles some when you are discing deep in soft soil and going fast.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:21 AM

In the Northern Tool catalog there is a disk called the King Kutter - it looks like it might work well - any experiences? I am also looking into the Tuffline series, but can't find any reviews on this one either.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 AM

Your main concern should be weight. In general, the heavier the implement, the better job it will do. Most ATV disc sets are too light to do any serious discing. There are other factors too.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too am wondering how the Tuffline Groundhog will work. It uses the weight of the ATV to cut into the ground so it should do better the some of the kind that drag along behind the bike. I have also been looking at the King Kutter and by the way, Tractor Supply compant has the for considerably less money than Northern Tool does.

http://www.groundhogdiscplow.com/index.php
Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 PM

We purchased a King Kutter - I would say I'm 30% satisfied with it. In my opinion the discs are not at an acute enough angle to break up soil well. It works "okay" with moist, bare soil, but not too moist, if it's too wet it will just leave stripes. On bare dry soil it will eventually break things up, but it takes many, many, manypasses. We've added about 150 pounds of additional weight to it also. If you've got anything but sparse ground cover you'll also have problems.

King Kutter customer service is poor - I've sentemail's asking if there is anything I can do tohelp the disc work better, no response.

Purchased ours at aTractor Supply store. Had totake the first one back as the discs eventually bent back to the point where they were almost hitting the tires - probably because of too much added weight. No problem with that with the second one though.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the report on the king kutter, I was looking hard at that one. Has anyone tried the Howse atv disk?

Quick Reply: ATV disk reviews

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.