Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

oats?

Old 10-07-2002, 12:01 AM

Default oats?

Ok farmhunter i know you're out there. i have a question ? OATS now when you buy some oats and it says not for planting purposes. what does this mean? these oats if planted will not grow?
you see i planted 50 pounds today and after i got through i noticed this on the little tab on the bag. are my oats going to grow? if not i'm gonna woop the guys bu** that put them in my truck at the feed store. what do you think?

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 10-07-2002, 06:07 AM

Default RE: oats?

It's probably more of a technicality. These are probably not "certified" for being sold as seed. This means they are not tested for germination, cleaned to seed quality, or guaranteed to be any specific variety.

They should still grow just fine. The oats you bought were probably meant for resale as feed, which is a lot cheaper than oats for sale as seed.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

You got what we call feed grade oats. We have planted a lot of them.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:08 AM

thanks . these things are not my strong area. i was about to be upset that i went to all that trouble and they wouldnt come up. maybe since we got a good rain they will come on up. i will warn you i will probably have more questions in the future since i have a tractor now i plan on having lots of plots.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 AM

are you sure they were not quaker instant oats? i bet the deer would would love the apple and cinnamon flavored oats. hehe. give them about a week after this rain and they should be fine.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're working for me. The germination rate may be poor but you get a crop which is just fine for deer feed.

Dan O.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 PM

MAC12 them instant oats would be a nice fast food plot. kind of like the climbing stand of food plots .

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 10-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone here is right. The feed oats may be a couple of years old, and full of weed seeds - or not - there is no guarantee - It would be possible that you might only get 60-75% germination. Usally they are just combined oats from a local source, and seed well - and the price is right at $6-8/50 lb bag. Certified seed is guaranteed to have a minimum of weed seeds, which can be important if planted as a nurse crop for clover, but is not necessary at all if planted just as a fall attractant crop for deer.

Just make sure they are whole, and not rolled, or cracked. Sometimes feed oats are cracked for better digestion to livestock - its usually clearly marked though.

Good luck
Old 10-13-2002, 10:19 PM

There up and growing. deer tracks all in it. do they like them when they are just coming up? nice and green. i may just hunt there next sat. when muzzleloading season starts but i found a bunch of big scrapes . it will be tough.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 10-14-2002, 02:20 PM

I can only tell you about the deer in South Texas where we have oats. The deer will eat it from the time it comes up until the time it is combined.

Also, SoArk... email me I have some questions for you. I want to see where you hunt and so forth. I have a lease in Emmerson and Magnolia Ark. I have some questions about food plots and other things..
[email protected]
Thanks

Quick Reply: oats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.