Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

When to use poast?

Old 05-12-2005, 07:02 AM

Default When to use poast?

My clover plot has greened up well this spring but I've got some grasses coming up through the clover. I kind of expect this as before I planted to clover last spring it was a mowed field. I just tilled up the soil and grass a few times over the period of month and then planted. I had some grass last summer and I hit them with poast and it did a good job of killing them but they've come back in a few spots and I want to hit them again. My fear is that it may be to soon in the year and it may stress the clover. I'm not sure if this should be a concern or not but was hoping someone here would have experience with a situation similar to this.

Any suggestion?

And as always I appreciate any input you can give me.

Adams
Old 05-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When to use poast?

If the weeds are less than a foot tall apply the Poast now. If the weeds are greater than a foot tall, mow the plot and wait a couple of weeks to apply the Poast.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:25 AM

Then it sounds like I should get on it this weekend. Do I have to worry about the clover since it's early in the year and the clover may still be stressed from winter or should it be ok?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

As long as the clover plants are a minimum of 3" tall, it's safe to apply the herbicide.

Don't forget, Poast (which is no longer manufactured) requires a surfactant to be added for optimum effectiveness.

"It's hard to be the cheapest and the best"
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I just used the 2 new one from the Whitetail Inst. I have to say I was impressed and that takes a lot to do. One was Arrest and I cant remember the name of the other one. They both did there job.