Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I would like to know!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Default RE: I would like to know!

I got one last Dec. Was kinda bad for both my boys and one of there little friends was with me when i cleaned her and found the fawn, Hamster size. We elected not to tell mom.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fawns looked like little baby rats, with no fur.
Hey Mossy...good to see you put it more eloquently
Old 05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
bigcountry

Even if you have crop damage permits, they dont start until August, which is a good 2 months after most Does have given birth to their fawns. However, I have gutted a pregnant deer that was hit by a car in April, and it was kind of interesting, from a Scientific point of view. The fawns looked like little baby rats, with no fur. Hope this answers your question.
Mossy, not sure what part of MD you are in. But the crop damage permits right now on the shore at that farm I used to turkey hunt are active right now. And yes, they have killed several preg doe so far.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:35 AM
bigcountry

The fawns looked like little baby rats, with no fur.
Heard they smoke up good.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:18 PM

Tough to get em lit but if you pucker REAL hard with a MAPP gas torch they burn OK>
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

the doe I shot was a hunters for the hungry donation, and I did a quick field dress on her. figured I did most of the work, butcher could do the rest. plus, she was recovered well after dark, and I couldn't do a great field dress because my light went dead.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the bottom line here is that the hunting season is scheduled during the deer's mating season. Because most of the states/provinces have seasons that are rather long, it easy to see where does mated early in the Fall may be carring fawns when shot in winter.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bunch of us bowhunters on another forum debated this last year. Where we hunt, the rut usually starts in early November and will peek in late November-early December. In our state the bow season extends to February 15. So presented an opportunity to harvest a doe in January-February, knowing that she is pregnant, what do you do? Better yet, how do you know that during gun season in November-December she isn't bred? Personally, I will shoot a doe in this time period. We have a high doe-buck ratio, so the odds are that she is carrying a female fawn.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Even if you have crop damage permits, they dont start until August, which is a good 2 months after most Does have given birth to their fawns. However, I have gutted a pregnant deer that was hit by a car in April, and it was kind of interesting, from a Scientific point of view. The fawns looked like little baby rats, with no fur. Hope this answers your question.
Mossy, not sure what part of MD you are in. But the crop damage permits right now on the shore at that farm I used to turkey hunt are active right now. And yes, they have killed several preg doe so far.

The farm I have hunted crop damage on in the past few years, doesnt get their permits until late July. And if you want to be technical i.e. searching through with a magnifying glass to find a 3" fetus, than yes I guess the ALL KNOWING GODS OF HUNTINGNET have proven me wrong!!!!!!![:'(] I was speaking of seeing babies inside that were within a month or two of breathing. But hey, I forgot this is huntingnet where every guy with a computer can sit on a high horse and think he is "MR WHITETAIL" and gets his jollies from posting that someone is wrong, [:'(]when all I was trying to do was simply help answer a question of why you will not see a deer in hunting season that has babies that are close to being born.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was speaking of seeing babies inside that were within a month or two of breathing.
No actually what you said is this...

The hunting seasons are set up so that you should never be in a position to harvest a pregnant deer
And as you just agreed that is not true. I don't think anyone here is sitting on a high horse. The original poster asked a question, the other members are simply giving their answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.