Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shampoo..

Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shampoo..

i've had the same experience as grizzly man. i've been turkey hunting before and have deer walk within feet of me without even noticing me. that was with regular stuff. i've had similar experiences during deer season, but they weren't quite as close.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

while crossbow hunting this fall i was on the ground and a doe walked within 8 yards of me and just kept walkin and i just had camo on my hunting boots got next to my work boots covered in hog crap and sort of smelled also so i don't think that these sent things are worth my time so far but my opinion could change
Old 04-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with lefty....i've been in camp for days without anything resembling a scent cover let alone a shower and have had deer with in a few yards of me. I was sitting on the ground in the brush, not in a blind and have had bucks and does come very near me.
Swearing by these cover scent products is buying into the hunting show/infomercials that tell you that you can not be a successful hunter without them....that's a load of bull.
My grandad killed untold numbers of deer and never owned a stitch of camo clothing, had never heard of cover scent and he used a .30-40 Krag or a 38-40 Winchester, neither of which ever had a scope. Of course this was before Team Realtree told everyone that you had to wear their clothes or Polaris made folks believe that a 4 wheeler is necessary to hunt deer. Their cover scent was campfire smoke, coffee or Old Crow from the night before. At one time my granddad had the biggest Pronghorn killed in TX, (this was in the 50's) he did it with iron sights and, I promise you, no cover scent.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your down wind you can smell any way you want , but if you are up wind all the cover & elimanator sprays washes and soaps won't make a bit of differance.Your busted[:'(]
Old 04-23-2005, 02:42 PM

i use it before every deer hunt
Old 04-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've wondered for some time if game smell man or the effects of man. Each footfall and brush againt disturbs the ground and foliage releasing scents stronger than if they were undisturbed. They are also keen to light. Disturbing things creates edges of light that causes them to be cautious. Probably a combination of both.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

footfalls and edges......so why use camo clothing in the first place? The wind, other critters, cattle, rain etc are continueously moving and stiring up scent and the foliage.
Nature is continually moving and changing. It does not sit still and stay semetrical.
Animals don't just know this, it is part of them. They do not walk into a field and think, "wait that leaf is turned over I'd better get out of here", it is simply how things are.
Now, anything that is not of nature, say your 4 wheeler parked under a tree is definately cause for alarm for any animal.
But you neednt worry about that because the thought and sound of a 500cc engine in the woods going to the deer blind is perfectly natural to animals. Besides, you look really cool.
Stop worrying about all these BS details and enjoy your hunt.
Which shampoo to use.....geesh...I'd swear I was in a beauty salon or ***** eye for the deer hunter.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

what moosehorn said.....ditto
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The indians used scent control. One of them was to stand in the smoke of burning sweet grass. As far as deer seeing edges and the ground being disturbed I think they can smell the size of a footprint like we can see them and tell what made it. Deer being spook by edges of light are easily proven because deer will stop at an edge and check what is ahead before proceeding. Smart deer will not go into a clearing which is nothing more than a light edge without being very cautious. Just read a book were a guy used a mountain bike to get to his spots. He gave credit to his successes to not leaving a trail. You can’t say the tires left no scent. They didn’t leave a track the size of a boot at the gate of a man. Older bucks are very observant. I’m just trying to pay attention to what impact I leave. The less the better.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use it. I dont think it would hurt though. I do use the deoderant and spray my clothes but thats about it.

Quick Reply: shampoo..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.