Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thoughts? Brush hog or not?

Old 09-14-2002, 02:39 PM

Default RE: Thoughts? Brush hog or not?

EDDDIEE,
I agree with wirehair, cut strips.....I do the same thing to a 5 acre field that has grown up for 2 years...This was suggested by our county wildlife management office also....They told me not to bush hog any until August 15th which is the end of nesting season.....

Bush hog a strip 15-30' wide and then skip a strip...The deer will feel secured with every other strip unmowed......In the future, alternate strips when mowing........They really like this native food plot.....It's cheap to grow too!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

A bush hogged field is a poachers paradise and a small game nightmare. I have a friend who owns a deer hunting farm and he will bush hog every fall to make it look pretty. Sad thing is we use to bow hunt together so he should know the habitat he is destroying. There were two bucks a 100" 8 pointer and 130" 10 point found in the Spring within 100 yards of each other. Can't tell me that wasn't a poacher spotlighting at night. With a growed up field that would not have happen. Sorry for the rant............
Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

I would brush hog a portion of it, to lead them somewhere where you can get a shot. Your map didn't work for me, so I can't see it. But deer do not seem to mind when I cut fields. They're used to it I suppose, and often are feeding on the cut stuff the night I cut it. I probably wouldn't cut the whole field if it is several years growth, because they're using that for cover. Although, I would cut it all next spring and let it start over. If you don't it will be too thick before long. And it's nice to start new growth anyway
-Jake
Old 10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think there's a wrong answer. If things are good, why do anything? If things aren't good doing anything won't hurt. Deer love cover and love an easy trail. One thing they don't like are edges of light and dark, makes'm spooky.

If you don't do it soon you won't be able to hunt it that's for sure, it will be too thick, but the deer will love it.

Whatever, wish I'd had your problems of so much land.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd bush-hog it ASAP. It'll stimulate new growth. At the least I'd cut a few lanes 15'-20' wide. You got a bud with a PTO tiller ? Bush hog as much as you an afford to plant. RUn the tiller. Spread seed and drag. I would not think it is to late for wheat of clovers that grow well up you way.