Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do the scent blocker suits REALLY work?

Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Do the scent blocker suits REALLY work?

Maineguide.....That is one FUNNY post! I can't stop laughing!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that part of the reason I wouldn't use a Scent suit, besides them being too high, is that I use to wear a chemical suit running patrols in MOPP 5 when I was wearing a uniform. Nothing like moving around a couple of miles when it's 80 degrees with a mobile sauna attached to you.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM

Quick and easy answer NO
Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nodog, I just finished catching up on this thread and here is what I don't get. Todd basically used his experience with activated carbon and gave some pretty good reasons why HE doesn't think it works. Basically it's his personal opinion and not once did I hear him say that anyone who uses it doesn't know what the heck they're doing. In fact it was the opposite. However you feel compelled to throw it back in his face saying that he is insecure by taking a strong stand while you are the one who seems to be getting bent out of shape telling him there's no reason to "bring his degree into this" and throwing his OPINIONS back in his face. When in fact that degree is EXACTLY what gives him the credence to make such statements. I'll tell you what. Next time you get sick just go to your mechanic...after all you wouldn't want someone using their degree to provide an answer to something they are obviously knowledgable on.

p.s. personally I think that they may work but not in the manner that everyone may think. I actually think that they make hunters more confident and the more confident someone is the better their chance is of succeeding. Personally I do own one and wear it out archery hunting all the time. This doesn't mean I ignore the wind and just plop down in the first decent spot I find. On the contrary I still hunt according to the wind but feel the suit combined with other scent blocking systems adds to my overall success. I look at it as "the dumbo effect". Dumbo could always fly but he fealt he needed the feather to actually do it. this is the same, anyone who takes enough care and patience can play the wind and eliminate the chance of deer scenting them, but if they feel they need the suit to accomplish that than so be it.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 AM

I am sure scent block suits help and when it comes to a deers nose we can use all the help that we can get but, You can never be 100% scent free. There is no way. Also, anyone wearing so called scent free rubber boots think again. What do they think rubber boots smell like? RUBBER! The next time when your setting in your stand on a sunny day smell your boots, the heat of the sun makes them worse. It may not be human scent but it is just as bad. www.pbase.com/mlo3135127
Old 03-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

imo never used one but if your down wind ..your down wind bottom line________
did the indians use them?
Possible they were on horses. Ever try and get upto an elk or deer on a horse? Pretty easy stuff.

I haven't got into all the scientific stuff that some of you who seem to have a shiat load of time on your hands do, but I can fart in one and it doesn't smell. Does it work? Who knows? I can afford to wear one, so I do. I think it helps and I am more confident being out in the woods wearing one and using it as PART of my scent control.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

They aren't for me. I am careful to use rubber boots and stay away from runs to get to my tree. I climb higher than 20 feet, settle in and then start to fart up a storm. I figure that it is hot air anyway and even though I have been out of school for 39 years the laws of physics are still the same. Hot air rises and they never see it coming.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW ...this question is starting to remind me of the movie "Blazzing Saddles" ...the campfire seen LOL ....
Old 03-22-2005, 05:22 PM

The guys at Scent loc are marketing geniuses obviously. the fact that there is even a debate on this cracks me up. Those suits are junk. IMO The only way to get an edge on deer is to scout your arse off, find a chink in their patters where all the variables come together in your favor, and wait. There is no way in hell those suits work. 90% of your stink comes out your mouth anyways....next they will start selling breathing tubes and a bunch of guys will swear by them too. This is too funny. And FYI a deers nose isn't even half great. If ya wanna talk about noses, coyotes are where its at!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 PM

Could it be, that deer relate best to predation, and through the years, have learned what are predators, and what aren't? Let me elaborate. Last season, I was drawn for a hunt on public ground, and the only hunting allowed is by draw. This place is near a heavily populated area, and the locals do a lot of hiking and horseback riding in this area. Now, I saw something like 100 deer in 2 weeks in there, and I tell you what, human scent did not bother these deer in the least. They walked by upwind, downwind, crosswind, didn't matter. On the private ground I hunt, which doesn't get hunted much, I had a doe walk up to me and stare at me, and she was all of 5 feet away, no matter the wind direction, she could smell me from that close. Now, when I hunt public land, land that gets hunted extremely hard, the deer do not tolerate your presence at all. I believe this is because they have learned to associate that smell with danger. So, the fact that a deer smells you is inevitible, I think it just matters how the animal relates to it.
Wow, I just realized that this is very off topic. So, I will put my 2 scents into the question at hand. I have no idea whether they work or not, but I DO know I don't have a degree water chemistry, or any other chemistry degree for that matter, and if moose19 tells me it won't work, ok.....I believe him.....heck, I can't prove otherwise, right????

Quick Reply: Do the scent blocker suits REALLY work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.