Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Would U have Done ???

Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Would U have Done ???

It's called survival of the fittest. Leave them be. I have seen many deer run as fast or faster on three legs than on four. In high snow or severe conditions the poor feller might not make it, but other than that it should be ok.

FYI - saw a similar situation on an outdoor show (Mossy Oak??) Anyway, Jim Shockey does a segment with home video. It showed a guy who found a deer tangled in a fence similar to your situation, He actually thru his jacket over the deers head (it was flailing frantically) and then grabbed it and gave it a big flip and the deer went free. Pretty neat really.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer get along fine on 3 legs. Doesn't matter which leg is bad, they'll get around. I've had a doe with a gimpy back leg for 2 years now that visits my yard. She had a fawn of her own last year as well.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like the deer had at least a chance to make it. So you made the right choice to let it go. Now if it was obviously going to die, and all it had was a few hours then things may have been different. But the leg could heal. I shot a nice 10pt buck when I was younger with only 3 legs. And it was running full-speed when I shot him. I didn't realize his leg was missin until I went to gut him out. There was just a healed-over stub.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Let it go our call a game warden anything else can get you in trouble here.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would have let it live, but try to keep an eye in case you see a sick deer then you know to try and do something about it
Old 03-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been dragging a third track in the snow for many years. I woud hate for somebody to try and dismember it.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM

I think you did the right thing. If i found it in almost dead condition and i had a gun, i'd kill it. but if it was able to escape on its own, it's probably fine.

zak, i really hate wildlife sanctuaries. They're a waste of money. I believe strongly in natural selection. the survival of the fittest. rescuing animals near death and letting them live out their days in a pen is a waste of money and its not anywhere close to nature. like this owl around here that had cateracts. Several thousand dollars later, that bird is being raised in some enclosure where its hand fed every day until it croajks. natural selection. survival of the fittest. if it has a defect or is too weak, i believe it shouldn't be helped along.

slayer
Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 PM

i would have maybe caught it then called the fish and wildlife dept. and hope for the best.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fresh tenderloin???
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 AM

I'd leave it along and call F&G and let them know where it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.