Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spin feeder question, pls advise

Old 03-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Spin feeder question, pls advise

I did a search and was surprised i found so little on spin feeders. I even did a search for specific brands like kenco and sweeny, but no luck.

Anyway, perhaps you can help. I want to install a spin feeder, purely for attracting game to my camp area, not for hunting. I want a quality unit that will be low maintenance to minimize the hassle factor. Since it will be 150 yds in front of my trailer, it won't be hard to fill and service the battery, but anything to make it easier is preferred.

I live in Florida and the coons are terrible. We also have hogs and squirrels. Occassionally, the ranch puts cows in the field too. My thought was, insert two 4x4x12 posts into the ground with a 4x4 across the top. Then, hang the spin feeder from a cable to minimize racoon problems.

I would appreciate feedback on the setup and also specific recommendations regarding the brand of feeders and any other tips. I am looking at the kenco and On-Time, but am open to any quality brand that is reasonably priced. thx for the help.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spin feeder question, pls advise

tealboy,

I've been using moultrie feeders for several years now, with no problems. Mine are the older models that you can't set the timer. They put out feed about 30 minutes before dark and 30 min. after daylight. They came with I believe, about 6 gal. buckets. I changed two out over the years, took the moultrie timer/spinner and mounted them on 30 gallon galvanized trash cans. I did this so I wouldn't have to tend them as often. The 6 gallon bucket last about 7 days, the 30 gallon last a little over 2 weeks. I put washers/spacers on the mounting bolts to make them disperse more feed.

I've tried several ways to stop the raccons and squirrels, the 30 gallon trash can works the best because they can't hang down off the top of the can to get to the spinner and feed. I have hung them every way possible, but the best I've come up with is, to run a large nylon rope between two trees with a loop tied in the rope, about half way between the trees. I use a 3 inch pulley wheel ( get from hardware store) and tie it to the loop in the large rope. I then run a rope thru the pulley. I bought the small boat winches that go on boat trailers and bolt them to either the tree with lag bolts or a bracket that bolts to the tree and put the winch on it. I made the brackets. I then run the rope from the pulley to the winch, and I can put over 100lbs of corn or other feed in the large cans and winch them up.

For the 6 gallon version I have just thrown a rope over a limb and pull them up by hand and tie off to a tree, this can be a little ruff though.

I tie all my lids to the cans because I have had raccoons pull the lids off.

I've tried the tripods, but have had hogs turn them over.

Hope this helps.

dog1
Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 AM

Best way to deal with cattle and hogs on a permenant setup is to fence off the feeder using hog panels. By placing two panels per side, you can make a square of 24 feet per side, based on 12 foot panels. THat will be more than enough room for deer to get to the corn without crowding, anfd keep it away from hogs and cattle. For racoons, eith build a wire varmint guard around the feeder, grease the legs of the tripod mount, or take five foot sections of 4 inch PVC pipe. Split the pipe legthways, and snap the pipe over the feeder legs, and attach at the top with a small chain or rope. The PVC will wobble and spin whenever racoons try to climb the legs, and they won't be able to climb.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 AM

Teal, here's a web site www. moultriefeeders.com. Coons eat about everything maybe deer chow or something else will work.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

I use a trash can, a tripod with a winch to hang it from a varmint cage. The feeder is a Kenco and has lasted several years. Racoons have given us fits, but this settup has finally beat them. The tripod with the winch is real nice. We got real tired of carrying buckets of corn up wooden ladders. Now we just winch it down and fill it from the ground.