Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer and livestock???

Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Deer and livestock???

In the past I have been lucky enough to hunt in areas where cattle, goats or sheep have not been in areas where I hunt or place feeders. I now hunt in a new area where the ranch owners run some cattle and goats, oh boy.

Ok so I get to build pens around the feeders. How strong and of what meterials will I need to use. Will t-post with 5 or 6 strands of barbed wire be enough or will I have to buy something more? Is 40" enough to keep a goat out?

I wonder how goats taste
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Deer and livestock???

Use 39" field fence (heavy guage) and rebar for posts. Buy some of those wire ties that you use on concrete reinforcement wire, ya know the little 5 or 6 inch metal ties with a small loop on each end, and buy the little tool that you use to twist them together. Just about any hardware store will have the ties and the tools. Using those twist ties is really fast, easy, and cheap way to build feeder pens. When you stretch your fence, make sure it's tight. If it's not, those darn goats will climb right over it. Build the pen as big as you can afford. The bigger the pen, the more deer you'll have using your feeders. I personally would not use less than 600' of fence. Don't forget to build a gap.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

This may not be the best way but it has been successful for us. We use about 7-10 of those 16 foot hog panels I think they are 36''-40'' tall. Fairly expensive but the last three leases we have been on have all had live stock. Easy to move from one place to another. We use some cut up 3' rebar. pound the rebar about a foot into the ground. Take some bailing wire and tie the rebar to the panels. Works great and the deer tend to have enough room to move around.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM

I used some of the t-posts last year to keep my neighbors cattle from getting to my apple trees. They leaned against them and shoved them in towards the trees. I would not even consider rebar. A 1000 lb animal will bend it like a pencil. After using some barbwire and reinforcing the T-posts I was able to keep them at bay. You may want to consider an electric fence if it is feasible.