Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what do you eat and how do you carry it?

Old 02-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you eat and how do you carry it?

I usually have something small like granola bars and keep my appetite for when the day is done.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ( good protein source) in which are called bajelly sandwiches later in the day and some energy bars and jolly rodgers to create saliva while hiking. Bannanas are good during bowseason but come gun season they freeze as hard as, well they just frezze solid. I am actually good to go in case I have to spend the night in the bush. Starving is my least concern out there. Bobby
Old 02-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Usually I fast all day. I leave my water in the Explorer and use the woods for meditating on life and God. The fasting keens my senses to all of the sounds and movements.If I bring anything it may be some gum.
Chuck
Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm like Chuck, I usually fast before a hunt and during if I'm on stand. I don't want my nature to call and cause me to have to come down.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my day trips,I get up at 3:00 in the morning. Have breakfast at a 24Hr restaurant,bacon sausage ham egg combo, with pancakes toast (rye) on the side.Than I am on my way to Tim Hortons where I grab my thermos of coffee and a sub,(for my lunch ). I snack on peanuts and raisons and jerky (wild game) throughout the day .I drink lots of fluids (Gaterade or Powerade) through a water pack that is strapped to my back while I hike.In the back of my truck there is always a 18gal bottle of fresh drinking water carried along for these hunting trips.
On my overnight trips and 10 day exibitions I pack differently.
Freezdried soups and vegtables,Powdered drink mixes(gaterade,powerade) and peanuts jerky and raisons just to name a few things fresh water.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:41 PM

usally carry one canteen of water with more in my jeep, to eat homemade jerky and hard tack or fried dough maybe a penutbutter sandwich but usally stuff that dosen't smash in my pack or pockets
Old 02-26-2005, 10:05 PM

Since we normally will cover several miles each day of hunting, I used to not bring anything and mooch of my hunting buddies. This helped keep the weight of my backpack down. Unfortunately, my hunting buddies caught on to my scam. Now if I bring anything, it is just a small chunk of pepperoni and a small chunk of cheese. I don't mind hunting all day without eating though. That way, when the hunt is over, I can swill all the cold brewski's and have a nice big dinner in the evening.

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Usually a ham/cheese and a turkey breast/cheese sandwich, a honey tangerene or two. And I carry my water in a gov't surplus hydration backpack. My possibles go in a fanny pack.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I don't eat! I have a good breakfast and I keep some sandwiches in the truck for after. If I need to eat during the day I always have the option to head back to the truck!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

A bottle of water which I leave in the tree, Thermos of hot choc. if winter. On an all day hunt 3 sandwiches, and or some fried chicken, candy and granola bars. All goes into a backpack. Which I strap to my climber. carry my bow or gun. If I'm staying all day, I want to be prepared.

Quick Reply: what do you eat and how do you carry it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.