Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot it or not?

Old 02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot it or not?

ORIGINAL: 121553

Oh-Oh, here we go again. Ethical situation, huh?
I would shoot it and wait for the party who shot the illegal deer and obtain as much imfo about the individual/vechilcle and call the local game warden/deputy sheriff and let him know what had happened.
Reminds me of a situation that happened to me a few year back when motorists were parked along the road here and a doe was doing cartwelts in a barb-wire fence, people just watching, its skin torn/ripped and bleating and shoulder popped out of socket, it was a very nasty and bloody scene and I shot it with my 357 once killing it instantly. I guess someone had called the game warden and we both were untangling the deer from the strands of wire while bystanders watching/tring to assist us and the warden had told me that I'm going to have to give you a ticket for shooting the deer because there was a possiblity that the deer could of gotten loose, I told him, well do what you got to do. We loaded the deer in the back of his p. u. and wipped ourself off and then he told me after everyone left to get the hell outta here. I said, Yes, Sir.
Bobby
The thing that also sucks about that situation is that those overhearing what the game warden said to you initially (about how he would have to give you a ticket) might be even more inclined to not help a suffering animal the next time----The game warden should have praised you in front of the others for doing the right thing
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

when i lived in texas i burnt on of my tags on a 3 legged spike, the deer had lost his leg from the knee joint down, the little buck might have weighed 70 lbs. and he would run 10-30 yards and lean against a tree. this dude was in bad shape and i really think i did him a favor, as should be done on any animal that is suffering, law or not, jmo
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM

I'd finish him off. My personal ethics would not allow me to watch an animal suffer. I may pay a hefty fine if caught but imo it's the "right" thing to do.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hillbillie, the time we got the deer untangled and dragged to his truck and loaded he was rheeming me a new A-hole all the way lecturing me, I think I would of rathered paid the fine and not have the lecture because I can still hear him. He told me he had reasons for confiscating my truck, pistol and loose my hunting rights for 3 yrs and then pay restitution for the deer. Give me a Break Dude. But what he was doing was sending a signal to the other folks that you better have a dang good reason for pulling a trigger on a game animal in the off season. But I would do it again. S.S.S. Bobby
Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Just because you chose to ignore simple ethics lessons please dont try and pass your B.S. on to our young hunters!
I don't know what kind of ethics you are tryin' to teach, but it runs contrary to the law. Some day your young hunters are gonna expect someone to give up game that the youngster has wounded and all heck is gonna break out. It is better for you to teach how the world works than how you wish it did, the transition from child to adult is tough enough.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I'd shoot it, put it out of its misery and give it to the first guy who hit it
Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Although i've heard several times that the person who puts the killing shot on the game is the person who claims it, i'd shoot it and give it to the other guy ar gal. It's just the right thing to do in this situation. Either way I wouldn't let it lay there suffering.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Up here in New York if they dident put a fatal shot on it the first time u can shoot it and clam it because they dident put a fatal shot on it....