Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting on windy days?

Old 09-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer hunting on windy days?

AK hit the nail on the head, when the wind is gusting it is time for stalking the edges of gulleys and low spots. Deer do not like the wind, stalk slowly into the wind, only moving when the wind is blowing, work your way very slowly to gulleys and low spots, especially if there is a stream or acorns in the bottom you are approaching. Scan constantly, deer bed down when the wind is blowing hard, but be prepared for some occasional fast action, the wind will spook a deer and they will be moving fast.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are always pockets that the deer use to get out of the wind ,just hunt slow and easy seems to work for me . I do remember one windy day the deer were everywhere and really acting strange, we got three nice bucks that morning .Around noon the wind got up to over 100 mph and it was no fun being in the woods then . That was what was making the deer act so funny and get out in the openings .They could sense that it was coming .
Old 09-10-2002, 06:33 PM

Around here we have lots of ravines almost like gullys, steep hills dropping off very sharply into swampy creekbottoms. On really windy days the deer are always in the ravines to block the wind. Only bad thing is there are dozens of these places where I mostly hunt. I bet that almost anyplace if it gets very windy for that area, the deer will seek refuge from the wind in lower spots to block the wind like ravines or if it is flat they will probably get on the downwind side of thick conifer patches to block the wind.