Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

You can't teach ethics in a hunter safety course
I disagree. I believe ethics are a huge part of hunters safety. I'm glad you went with your son to his course. That way when quesionable ethics do come up, you can give your own opinion. Thats what ethics are, each persons opionions. However, I think in this case, if it is a good instructor, he/she will have the best intentions of hunting in mind. HOwever, if you disagree with their beliefs and opionions, be prepaired to back it up.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ethics is what I try to instill in the class room and hope that the students will take it to the field with them, if you don't influence these students then who will?
I'll teach my kid ethics,that's who. You have a kid for ten hours I have him in the field. I respect what you do,but honestly if you say something in class that the kids parent doesn't agree with you think that child is going to listen to?

Bob,What are the ethics you try and instill into these kids in the time you can devote to the subject.

hunting. Take the guy from (Viet Nam I think) that shot all the people last year in Wisconson I am sure he was not taught anything about "hunting ethics" from his parents and had he went through a hunters safty course he may had not ever wound in someone elses stand
DD, Couldn't disagree with you more on this one the Hmongs are raised in aculture where there are no hunting laws.I also believe he had to go through a hunter safety courses to get a license in Wisconsin.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:03 AM

the person the kid hunts with should set him or her with proper ethics
Old 02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its part of the IBH Safety course. But most hunters learn ethics from the adults that take a youth hunting in their early hunting lives. If you end up with a hunter that has questionable ethics, it's almost a sure thing that he learned the traits from his mentor
Old 02-21-2005, 05:06 AM

I know from where i am from B.C Canada that they teach these in the hunters Ed course also i was taught them from my dad and my uncles
Old 02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie, your kids are fortunate to have a dad that teaches them ethics, but then again it goes with the territory of that being a parent but what about a child who has no mentor? I see a lot of fatherless kids taking the class as there mom drops them off and she has NO idea whats taking place. How is a fatherless child get a grasp on ethics if a mentor doesn't make an attempt to make a difference?
I really don't think any law abidding sportsman (Dad) would object to the ethics we try to get across in class. Remember, ethics is what you would do in a situation that is NOT covered by a law. For instance, here in Montana you can actually go moose hunting with a 22 legally, but is it ethically right? Of course not. Is it legal to hunt with dull broadheads? Now do you get my point? I do not see how any responsible adult could oppose to these type ethical questions, and your talking about 4 days of class room discussion.
I also see dads that bring there kids to class and the kid has never even shot a gun before or has NO interest in the class but his dad wants him to get a license so that he can shoot his sons cow elk, which are legal for kids under 18 (?) The dad is going to shoot and use his sons cow tag which is illegal. What kind of ethics/signals do you think this boy is being taught? Not all parents are good mentors as you know and if they were, it would make my job a lot easier. All I can try to do is make a difference to these young lads. Kids are not born with the answers, and someone needs to make a difference in there life if there not fortunate enough to have a mentor. Bobby
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

How many hours is your guys course?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually 4 evenings with a class of 35-40 students such as last year. One year we did it in 3 evenings and if it takes 5 to get the lesson across then so be it. We have 3 instructors and guest speakers such as the local game warden and biologist, and then you always have some kids dad sitting in class that knows everything also. Bobby
Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I went through it a couple weeks ago, and it was 3 hours on Friday, 8 hours on Saturday, and 5 hours on Sunday.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:11 PM

On the issue of ethics being taught in a Hunter's Safety course, I can honestly say I don't remember a lick of what they taught me. I remember all about pointing a firearm in the right direction, making sure the safety is on, and all that good stuff. When it came down to things like this, I don't remember anything the instructor said. I remember what my father taught me the first time he took me hunting.