Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Poaching Okay???

Old 03-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

poaching is wrong no matter how you look at it. the only reason you should is if your lost and cant find any food.

Jay

hunt 4 life
Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Does anyone really give a crap about this subject of if a down and out family kills a stupid deer, or is everyone just using this thread to b*tch about something? This is foolish........for real. If you all care so much about deer that every one counts, none of you should be in front of your computers, you should be out muckling coyotes. get a grip.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone can set here with a full belly and say one thing but untill your faced with something like that you just don't know. You can say you would never kill someone but there may come a time and a place that you would be in that state of mind. A desprite person will do desprite things. So don't set there and say that under no circumstance would you not poach. It's just funny how some guys on here speed everywhere they go, take home supplies from work, make alittle money on the side tax free, or whatever law it maybe, do so because its convenient or their greedy but a guy thats starving and just trying to live day to day is looked down upon. If I was on my way home from Red Lobster and shoot a deer just to top off my freezer then yes it's wrong. If I'm having to eat out of the dumpster behind Red Lobster just to live to see another day then call it what you want but I'll do what I think is right.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:20 PM

i personally don't see a big problem with it.. but don't make it a habit!.. mow a lawn or clean someone's gutter to get some spare cash!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM

Poaching is definetly the wrong way to go if one is in that situation.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:01 AM

It is still poaching, but the punishment is a different matter. If a guy is unemployed and broke the and gets caught w/ a doe the game warden shouldn't even take him in. Give him a road kill coupon and endit there. If a guy w/ a good income gets caught w/ a buck, then nail him. If a guide or person of wealth gets caught, then its siezure time, take everything he has that pertains to hunting.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 AM

ol' Mike here is making his own laws and punishment, what does it matter if it's a buck or doe?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 AM

What about all the deer meat donated to Hunters for the Hungry? IT'S FREE!! In some states you can get on a road kill list. There is no need do anything illegal. If you are so poor that you need to poach deer, how will you pay the big fines that come with poaching? In New York State food stamps are not illegal and there are food pantries in every town. The need to poach does not exist, there is help for those who need it.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127

What about all the deer meat donated to Hunters for the Hungry? IT'S FREE!! In some states you can get on a road kill list. There is no need do anything illegal. If you are so poor that you need to poach deer, how will you pay the big fines that come with poaching? In New York State food stamps are not illegal and there are food pantries in every town. The need to poach does not exist, there is help for those who need it.

This is true for the most part. There are programs for you if your in need. However, sometimes the Govt. makes it too hard to obtain these "handouts". I was just in the Bronx on Friday, and my boss and I gave some homeless guys some money. They seemed like reasonably decent people, and you have to feel for them. As we sat in traffic we discussed a lot of issues regarding the homeless and hungry, including this very topic.

First we discussed how they got to that position. Its hard to figure out, and we couldnt really understand how you get to the point where you're on the side of a highway holding a sign asking for food. Regardless of HOW they got there, it doesnt seem easy to get OUT of that position. How are you supposed to apply for a job when you wear the same clothes everyday, and you havent shaved in 15 years. You have no way of bathing, no resume, no anything. Yet you may have the skills that another guy has, just not the opportunity. Its sad, and I feel for those people. I think about what Jesus would do if he was driving by and saw these poor men, struggling to survive. Someday, if I ever have the means (money), I will take someone in and give him/her the chance to make a living for themselves.

I came to the conclusion that even though it would be illegal, they would be better off if they could seek shelter and food in the woods. I imagine eating a freshly killed deer, turkey, squirrell or trout...would be a LOT better than eating out of a dumpster. Then again, they wouldnt have the tools to kill said animals, and most would lack the skills to fashion their own weapons or shelters.

But there are so many possibillities and sets of circumstances, that you can never truthfully know what you would do if put in another mans shoes.

While I can see the relationship between poaching and theft, I dont think the line in the sand is as straight as some are claiming. I am not going to blame someone who truly has NOTHING, for taking animals out of season to feed themselves or family. I would hope the law would have some compassion for such a situation as well.

However, if you are living in a house, own a computer, drive a decent car, pay your bills etc. And you happen to lose your job, Im hoping you would realize the difference, and sell off the stuff you dont need, such as the computer, trade in the nice car for a beater, get rid of the cable tv, the cell phones etc...before you run out and poach an animal, claiming you "needed" it.

The bare necesseties in life would be;
Food/water/shelter

If you are so down-trodden that you struggle to maintain those three things, by all means, harvest whatever animals you need to survive!

But if you're typing on a computer right now, you do NOT NEED food. And if you do "NEED" food, you also NEED to prioritize. Poaching will not help your situation, and I would have little compassion for you, and would hope you incur the full rath of the law.

Poaching=Illegal
Survival = possibly illegal, but necessary.

Have a good one, and thank the Lord or whomever it is that you believe in, if your lucky enough to read this on a computer. ---Matt
Old 04-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, out of 30 pages assiociated with this thread, that post was the greastest and I totally agree where your coming from. Bobby