Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Patience and brute determination paid off.

Old 09-05-2002, 08:27 AM

Default Patience and brute determination paid off.

For all the hunters out there that may get frustrated with seeing little or no deer consider this hunt in Saskatchewan last Nov.:
Nov. 9-10 hours straight on stand-40 degrees-no deer
Nov. 11-10 hours straight on stand-38 degrees-one doe at last light
Nov. 12-5 hours on stand-2 p.m. in the afternoon-out walks mister big
It goes to show that you have to been persistent. If you are in an area that has big bucks, like I was, they will show, and not necessarily at last or first light. My outfitter buddy says MOST of their deer are shot between 10a.m. and 3 p.m. So stay out there, keep still, and enjoy the view.
p.s. I always take a book with me, and a crossword book to take some breaks. It's impossible to stay focused for 10 hours straight.
Good Luck

Be a stewart of the outdoors. Help to keep our heritage.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Patience and brute determination paid off.

Good job Sask, Its not easy sometimes.

I have had stretches where I have had 15 - 20 hunts without seeing a shooter, and many of those hunts saw no deer at all.

But remember every hour you spend hunting without a successful hunt makes that next harvest soooo much better.

Every time I leave a hunt without my buck, I return with that much more determination. That is what is great about bowhunting.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

SaskBucks if it were as easy as soem shows make it out to be I would have quit a long time ago. Like rack-attack over the years I am sure I have spent many a day without ever seeing a deer or spending hours watching does feed during bucks only!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-05-2002, 01:15 PM

Honestly, I'd jump for joy if I only had to wait three days like that. Then if "Mister Big" as you put it walked out, I'd probably pee my pants in disbelief.

In my area, you can hunt for several days in a row and not see a single deer. One of the reasons why just about ANY deer is fair game around here. Very very hard to allow anything to walk. You might not get another chance the entire season. Same thing holds true for turkeys.

Last year I saw ONLY ONE large buck the entire season.

-Mike

Old 09-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Persistance to me is the #1 factor in being able to continuously shoot deer year after year. That is more of a facor if hunting in places like my state with relatively low deer numbers. I have always installed this hunting style to all of my sons. That is why they (we) are successful during most deer seasons. Example: Last year my oldest son (33yrs. old with almost 25 yrs experience) finally got his buck (bucks only) on the 10th day of continuous hunting. He had actually stayed in his treestand for 9 days (11 hrs per day, dark to dark) and only saw one deer (a doe) before he tagged on that 10th day. That's positive proof what perserberance and dedication can do. SaskBucks, I couldn't agree with more!!

Old 09-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed, when you know your spot has to pay off and you have the time to wait it out! But reality is we can not all hunt when we want or wait until "HE finally makes his royal appearance". So the reality is sometimes you have to make it happen! I think one of the most common mistakes hunters make is get stuck in a rut or routine, same spot, same view, etc. I say don't be affraid to venture out into your hot spot a bit, these deer roam and when it rut they just plain make tracks. In many instances I have made a move, even so slight as 300 yards here or there and it has rewarded me with my star. So yes, patience is the virtue, that must be harnessed, but ho hum syndrome can always creep in. Plus I don't know how you guys sit for 11 hours straight and remain sane....I give you credit, b/c you are warriors. I suffer from my brain can't stop working, so I like to make things happen when ever possible. You know the "always something in the next draw or bottle neck" type.

Saskbucks, your outfitter pal is dead on. Of the deer I have taken and been witness to all have come in those mid-day times during November here in our frosty land. I attribute it to the bucks are on the hunt for their new batch of does to chase & all the road hunters we have up here are home for soup (that part is just vendictive thoughts), just my theory...but who really cares it is damn near a law with trophy hunters in Saskatchewan.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having grown up in saskatchewan and hunting these deer for 30 years I have learned as you have that during the rut the big bucks cover a lot of ground.Over the years you do learn the hotspots but I am always surprised by just where a big buck will appear, so I do move a fair bit to try to locate them.The area I hunt in is very open and after a few days the big bucks stay out of the open during midday but are often seen at first and last light.Probably 90% of my bigger bucks are taken at these times so I do take a fairly long dinner break now so I am fresh and can stay focused during the peak activity.Our climate may be harsh and deer densities lower than many places but the size of the bucks that live here make all the effort worthwhile.