Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interesting stories of "almost had him"

Old 01-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting stories of "almost had him"

I was walking in, it was still somewhat dark. It was during the rut. I hear this sound coming full bore at me. It was a very nice, perfectly symetrical 8 point running at me with his head down and he was grunting. He gets within 10 yards of me and stops. He was behind a cherry tree with his neck and head sticking out. I released and the arrow nicked the rough bark of the tree and went BETWEEN the bucks horns. He jumped straight up and now he is 8 yards and in the wide open. He is just standing there staring at me so I reach for another arrow. When I went to draw he leaps backwards a few bounds and walks away, looking back at me, without giving me another shot. GREAT EXPERIENCE!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

this is a story of almost had her and this is the only time i have seen or heard of this kinda thing happening. Me and my cousin was sitting in the stand one morning early this season (right after thanksgiving i believe). He spotted a doe to our left side and then as it was moving closer we noticed there were 8-10 of them. The one leading the pack was a nice mature doe that was perfect for the freezer. She got within 20 yds of us and stopped behind a tree. None of them even had a clue we were there. My cousin was hunting with his mossberg 12 ga and had it pointed right at her. She took a couple more steps and got perfectly broadside in plain sight. Then I heard a click come from his gun and all those white flags went up and took off. The first thing i thought was he forgot to chamber a round when we got into the stand since it was still dark when we got there. He swore he put one in there and pulled back the pump. Sure enough, it was there. We got that slug out and it had a dimple in the end of it, so we know it miss fired. Those sabots are $12 for a box of 5 shells. It is rediculus to put that kind of money into something and expect it to work but it don't. I guess on the bright side, it was not a 12 pointer standing there.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Spike

I've got an "almost had him" story that also qualified me for the "Bonehead of the Year" award in 1982. I have been hunting since I was a young child but I got into bow hunting kinda late in my life at 30 years old in 1981. I had limited funds so I basically got a bottom line bow that was a new Jennings Forked Lightning, shooting glove, arm guard, one dozen arrows with field points and one dozen broadheads. I managed to snag a button buck on the last day of my "rookie" season but boy was I hooked. I decided during the off season that I wanted to dedicate myself to bow hunting and become self-sufficient from pro shops. I got a fletching tool, an arrow straightener, arrow cutoff tool, and plenty of loose inserts & nocks. I had become my own bow pro shop. So I made up my own arrows, cut to 31 & 1/2" with new nocks and fletching, keeping six in the quiver for hunting while using others for target practice. On the opening day of my second bow season, I had gotten into a stand that my scouting had told me was going to be a good one. While standing in my stand with nothing happening, I usually extend my right arm (I'm a Southpaw) that holds the bow towards the ground which has the arrow facing down. I use a bow wristband that makes this comfortable and the nock will hold the arrow to the string. While in this comfortable position, a large bodied 10 pointer came out of the thick brush and was walking beside the creek heading to my right. I raised the bow up to draw only to find there was no arrow attached to my string, only a bright green nock. I tried to pull another arrow out but he saw my movement, white flagged me, and ran off. I looked down towards the ground and saw my arrow sticking straight up. When I examined both the arrow and the nock I realized that I had forgotten to GLUE the nock to the arrow. In fact, four out of the six I had reserved for hunting only did not have glue on them. I would like to classify that as a rookie mistake but since it was my second year I guess my buddies putting me in for the "Bonehead of the Year" was more adequate. By the way, I actually came in second place for the award and my buddy who beat me has a hilarious story that I'll try to get him to share on this forum.