Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frustrated, need a kill

Old 12-31-2004, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Frustrated, need a kill

you need an oppurtunity , not a kill , that takes time. More often than not,more than 2-3 days.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 PM

in racing we call it "payin dues", you'll get em just keep readin and learnin- 3years for me to get the 1st one- hang in there

alot of good advice has come your way already-learning to SIT takes disipline
Old 01-09-2005, 09:28 PM

hey dont get discouraged its your first season its going to take trial and error on your part keep good mental focus so much deer hunting relies on that HOW? because then you get what your doing being desperate grabbing for straws and making mistakes that cost you deer you have to play the mental game Hints: instead of going where you are seeing deer ask yourself why are they there and where did they come from? put the pieces together and try catching them in transition second dont plunge in too deep on land your not familiar with take your time you'll educate the deer to your presence then they are gone also dont wait til august seasons almost over at least here nows your best time to get in there and figure it out why wait til its hot anyway also the trails you mention deer habits change as the season progresses and so do the trails they frequent so decide which ones are hot and which are not sounds like you have good ground to start with and definitely some kind of a bedding area with all that thick stuff might be a good idea to steer clear of what you might think is their main bedding let them feel safe there and they will stay GOOD LUCK
Old 01-10-2005, 06:56 AM

My mother-in-law called about a week ago. While driving back up to the house, she nearly hit a buck with "a lot of horns" not 80 yards from my last deer sighting and about the same distance to the house. He showed himself just two days after the season was over! I hope he grows even bigger and stronger this year!

Now I have some ideas.
1. Go back to the Cherokee County property and clear some lanes soon before everything starts growing back.
2. Assemble some good maps of the property (found one at U.S. Geological Service). Pay especial attention to prevailing southerly wind observed during December hunt.
3. Plan for extended time in the stand. I'm thinking morning from 6am - 11am with my son, then 2pm - 7pm on my own while he plays up at the house.
4. Borrow a friend's inherited .30-30 next season since it's a better gun for this country and I don't want to buy another gun just yet. He has never fired it and said it would not be missed for a deer season. Of course I invited him to come along, but he is not interested.
5. See if I can bring an experienced, successful deer hunter along so I can learn the ropes a lot faster.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.