Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Default RE: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

dont care for man made barriers, no matter how big an area it is.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Not my cup of tea, but I know this fits the bill for several overburdened professionals I know (and their kids). They're not the enemy guys, but I understand your sentiments.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: moutain man

what the difference between this and hunting cows?[:@]
I would think you would notice quite a difference when it came time to drag the sucker out!!!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Guarenteed hunts or that deer on that site that someone posted a week ago turn my stomach.
It is my belief that HUNTING should not be controlled in any way by changing the natural and yes this would apply to baiting bear and food plots just for drawing in animals. This is my opinion. I am a hunter and feel it is taking away from my hunting experiance. As a hunter I like to feel that I have the experiance to hunt or harvest an animal in it's NATURAL enviroment by using my unassisted skills. My only exception would be the use of calls or scents.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the fenced area was large enough I wouldn't have any problem with hunting it. I have one 6,700 acre block of land I manage and it is crazy to think of any animal wouldn't be in his own habitat and completely wild in an area that big. This isn't but an area 4 miles by 3 miles also. Another way to think about is is if there was a large island, would you have a problem hunting it? Everybody looks for ways to better their odds while hunting. Agriculture fields, bait where legal, hunting bottlenecks of hardwoods, sex scents, food plots, scent blocker clothes, tree stands, rifles that will hit a quarter at 250 yards, etc, etc. They are all shortcuts and a large fenced area is just another, although it probably isn't the easy shooting fish in a barrel hunting that some think. The biggest thing about some of the well managed fenced areas is that the managers spend a lot of time and money introducing better genetic stock, feeding and culling the animals and giving the animals time to mature. And no, I've never hunted one of the high fenced areas.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM

If the ranch is big enough, then the fence dosent even come into play. Theres really no difference when your hunting a 10,000 acre high fenced ranch compared to hunting a 10,000 acre low fence ranch in the same area. I've hunted ranches with no fences, low fences, and high fences and I can honeslty say that the only time I ever say the fence is when I pulled through the front gate.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Just my opinion but if you know one is in the pen, it's not hunting any more. It's chasing one you know is in the pen.

The size of the pen just determines the time you need to chase it.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:28 PM

Jack:

Just my opinion but if you know one is in the pen, it's not hunting any more. It's chasing one you know is in the pen.
The size of the pen just determines the time you need to chase it.
I hear people say that all the time when ever this topic comes up. I get a chuckle when I read "opinions" like this one.

Lets say you look at a map of unit ABC in New Mexico. You know there are elk in there so since you "already know" I guess its just a matter of time before you kill one, right?? I mean all your doing is "chasing one you know is there" and the size of the unit "just determines the time you need to chase it". So I guess its not much of a trophy and/or your not a "true" hunter, right?

Just because there is an 8 foot fence around the property unstead of a 4 footer dosent mean the hunting is simply and/or the game is suddenly tame.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

No game farm animals should be allowed in the record books unless the records are for game farm animals only.
I agree 110%!
I wonder how many of those automatic feeders are on that king ranch or any ranch for that matter?!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 PM

I wonder how many of those automatic feeders are on that king ranch
Alot of the ranch is leased out to various people and/or compaines. But the king ranch corporation itself, the land it keeps for hunting, has very very few feeders out. Theres really no point in having feeders when you have enough land to make your own country. Most of the hunting out there is done by rattling, spot & stalk, and safari style.

or any ranch for that matter?!
Thats none of your bussiness What difference would/does it make anyway?

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.