Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Depleted PA deer populations

Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Depleted PA deer populations

maybe i got this all wrong but where are our future bucks going to come from if we shoot all the does. as far as i know they don't grow on trees. we need the does. kinda reminds me of the chicken and the egg thing. can't understand why everyone says to shoot all the does.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:00 PM

Thats pretty much the point though, you shoot the adult does already bred and we all have less deer in spring. Thats called herd reduction, and THAT our esteemed forum mate is "the Alt plan".

Less deer = less deer.

This week the Audubon weenies are putting out thier studies that show pa hunters should not fund the PGC, should not get a say in picking commissioners, and basically should not have any control over hunting issues. That would be decided by soccer moms and greenpeace who are members of the gvoernors council of ecoweenies.

Gawd, just when you though sportsmen were making some progress getting commissioners to listen the Audubon Society spits in your face.

Alty's and ecodorks, will they never rest?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:15 AM

Less deer = less deer... Buck harvest cut in half!! Bucks don't grow on trees so dont kill any does!! I only saw 25 deer this opening day, not 250 like last year or the year before!! DAMN! you guys cry more than my kids!
Less deer = less UNHEALTHY deer, bucks dont grow on trees, that is very true...bucks dont grow when there are too many deer for the nutrition available. You have to kill does to lower the herd numbers.Would you rather see a boatload of little thin deer with spikes or fork horns or less deer but bigger bodies and better racks? If I have 10 fish in my 10 gallon tank they dont get very big or a few get big and the rest die or stay puny, cut that number in half and keep the feed rate the same and all of them are big and healthy. The numbers may be scary right now, but when you start seeing body size/weight and antlers go up it will be worth the effort.
When I first came to GA from SW NY a good deer was a 6 or 8 that weighed 140 LIVE WEIGHT! Now we have B&C bucks everywhere and it is not uncommon to have deer 200 lbs field dressed!
People like chikory (sp) will never see it for what it is, and nothing that is said here or anywhere else will change that fact.
I hope for the rest of you PA hunters that things will get better. Good luck and good HUNTING!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Spike

You guys do know that out of PA's 1,000,000 hunters in 2004 that at least 50% will be gone in 20-30 years from old age and recruitment won't replace nearly that many. If you want to keep your 1.5 mil deer now who do you think is going to manage them in 20-30 years? It's not going to be the 300,000-500,000 hunters that are left. Dr Alt and the game commission finally started to manage the deer biologically instead of politically(what the hunters want) to deal with one crisis, habitat damage. Then the second crisis which will come in the future, loss of hunters, also is being addressed now. The PGC is using the hunters now to get a handle on this herd while they can and that gives them 20 years to come up with a new way to control deer numbers. Hunters and hunting are dying out but the deer are still going to be there. Maybe you don't see as many deer while hunting now, but PA hunters should be praising Alt and the PGC for being forward thinkers not greedy hunters.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm Locking this topic because of numerous personal attacks by 1/2 dozen individuals. Healthy debate is encouraged but the persistant name calling and attacks will not be tolerated.

In addition the subject of ALT,AR,PGC etc..etc.. has been hashed and rehashed in numerous threads. We're seeing the same information over and over and the personal attacks are getting worse.