Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gun

Old 12-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun

steve,
the savage would be a fine choice for a moderate priced gun--also--just like in hunting--be patient (I know its hard when you're young and the money's burnin)--especially if you are going to wait until next year to use it. study ballistic chart--the federal ammo website has a great one where you can pick and chose comparisons ( 30-06 is probably a good all around choice--but you might see something that catches your eye). Choose a gun that will bring you a lifetime of satisfaction--when I was 14 I bought a rem model 7 in 6mm and now I wouldn't trade that gun for a new pick-up--probably wouldn't ( what color? (grin)). anyway, shop around, some sporting goods shop might run a sale every once in a while--pick one that fits you--that 710 looks like a club.
hb
Old 12-26-2004, 01:28 PM

steveo- alot can be learned on guns in the forum on this site-- see above reply -good advice
Old 12-26-2004, 01:53 PM

You did not say why you were going to go with NEW.
I have picked up a lot of used rifiles that have had less than 200 rounds run tru them.
There is nothing wrong with a good used rifle.
Look around & you can get a good deal & have money left for ammo.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: johnch

The Rem. 710 is not what I would pick.
I am not sure of the differance in price but I know that the plainest Savage rifles are shooters and the packages are a good value.
The 30-06 is a great deer ,black bear cart. and will take elk with the right load.

i agree. i have a model 110 in .270, and with sling and scope it cost under $300. i bought it used, but it works. i would suggest looking for a used gun in good condtion, before you go out and get a new gun. the used guns might not look as pretty, but they work just as well. trust me