Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's everyone's experience?

Old 08-23-2002, 07:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's everyone's experience?

I'm 37 and grew up with a father that didnt hunt. I was taken on a precious few squirrel hunts as a kid by my cousin's grandfather...enough to know I really enjoyed the woods. Was pretty busy with school sports and chasing girls all the way through college..only went deer hunting a couple of times during that time but I started going every year after graduation (age 22) and have not stopped since. I hooked up with my cousin again 9 years ago and we have been having a terrific time every year with Muzzleloading and Modern gun. Little by litte we've replaced all our cheap camp and hunting gear with good stuff and now we are living large at camp every year...having a blast. Next stop is a cabin in a few years, I guess. I believe there is no substitute for experience and time in the woods, so I pay attention to the more experienced folks.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:18 PM

Hello,Phade
Glad to oblidge.I'm 72 years old,and started to hunt when I was about 15 0r 16.I started deer hunting at 18. My uncle was my Mentor;when he died,I became the last surviving Hunter in my family. Just like Uncus.
He was as great a woodsman and hunter as I've ever met,and I learned as much about that in my first ten years as I have in the remaining 40 plus years.He was not a great shooter,though,and I've continued to learn,a little,every year since then. Lately,thanks to the Web,and Forums like this one,I'm learning a lot every year about shooting,and making my own bullets and ammo.
In the beginning,I hunted anything legal,and some others,as well.For the last 30 years,or so,I've hunted only Whitetails.
All my hunting has been right here in New York.
Frank
Old 08-26-2002, 05:52 AM

Welcome Phade:

I am 29. I started whitetail deer hunting at age 10. Dove hunting at age 8. Before that it was what ever bird was still long enough to get shot at with my bb gun. I started handloading about 4 years ago and really enjoy the process of working up a load for mine and my fathers rifles. I owe my love of the hunting and fishing to my father and grandfather. I am lucky enough to still be able to spend time in the wilderness with both.

Later
Gone_Huntin
Old 08-26-2002, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am 62 years old, started squirrel hunting about 10 yrs old , rabbit hunting maybe 12, deer hunting in 1955, in Delaware, deer hunting in Pa 1969 (first deer) turket hunting in Pa 73, and on and on..I have hunted in W. Va., New Hampshire, Maine, Maryland, love em all...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:19 AM

i'm 21...been hunting forever...just a deep passion that burns all the time...i'm mostly into deer and turkeys..i love archery more that rifle..i've taken a good number off deer including 2 big bucks with my bow...but i've also missed many so thats what makes the ones you get that much more special...i'm a hunter till i die..

Buck or doe big or small they all taste the same and are a trophy in my book.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:43 PM

I'm 16 been in the field since age 5 been hunting since age 10. I'll hunt any thing I can.

Save the sport. Take a kid hunting twice and hook them for life!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

i'm 44 years young! started hunting at age 12. have hunted from pennsylvania(where i live)to alaska and back. moose, caribou, elk, mountain lion, mule deer, antelope, coyote, bear, turkey, and of course the ever elusive whitetail. started my first hunting trip out west at age 17 when i had my dad co-sign for a loan which i paid on for the next three years. it was well worth every penny. have guided deer hunters for years in state of south dakota. archery hunting is my passion now. there's nothing like getting up close with your prey. i still enjoy hunting with the rifle. i'm a ballistic nut and have never run a factory bullet through my gun. nothing like making your own. long distance shooting is hard to come by in pa.(at least where i hunt) looking forward to dove season opening this weekend and of course archery in a few weeks. i'd like to wish everyone good luck this season and may god bless!
Old 08-27-2002, 12:10 AM

Phade, i am a 34 yr. old female from west virginia, i have hunted mainly for the past 6-7 years. i wont kill what wont be eaten . i have only two kills to my credit , 2 bucks taken by gun, i do bow hunt also but havent yet taken a deer by bow, i credit my low number of kills mainly due to the fact that i refuse to take a chancy shot, if i do not have a clear clean shot under the correct shooting conditions i will not take the shot regardless of size of deer or even if it is the last day of the hunt. i feel we have a responsibility to the creatures of the woods to make as clean kill as possible and not to risk-EVER- maiming or losing that animal due to our own excitability or carelessness. i feel some people hunt because they think its the thing to do or is expected of them and arent really truly personally involved in the sport, these are people i dont want to share the woods with. i feel a total respect of the enviornment and animals is essential. i love every thing about hunting, and enjoy my time alone in the woods almost more than any thing else. my husband was the one who got me interested in hunting even before we were married 13 yrs. ago, i hunted a time or two then but never got into it altogether till years later .
Old 08-27-2002, 06:19 AM

Im 45. Shot my first deer when I was 14, but before that I had already shot squirrels,rabbits,ducks,geese,doves and quail.

Quick Reply: What's everyone's experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.