Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cleaning Deer

Old 12-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cleaning Deer

We hang ours 10-14 days before we process them
This is how long you age beef! Why do you feel it is required on venison? The reason I ask is part of the aging of beef or pork is to due with the fat content in the meat, the same can not be said about venison. I am sorry to sound like a lark but have you tried aging it less and if so was their a difference in table fare?

As to a butcher gutting that is fine if it can be done in a timely matter, if not you run a risk in this manner. The most important thing is to cool the carcass as soon as possible once expired...this means drop the guts and skin. Don't trust me ask a butcher what he thinks, even in a controlled manner they agree taking the body temp out will produce better results on the table!