Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Allergic to deer???

Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 PM

Default RE: Allergic to deer???

my cousin is the same way. he wears regular latex gloves, and then elbow length ones. he has the biggets problem taking the hide off. he's just allergic to the hair though.

wearing gloves to avoid the mess woody7?

sissy

slayer
Old 12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

My dad is also the same way. He just Sneezes uncontrollably and his eyes swell. He usually Takes Advil Cold and Sinus or Alieve COld and Sinus before hand, and its not nearly as bad. He's also allergic to cats and long haired dogs...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same problem with dogs. It really used to stink, since I love dogs. However, my doctor prescribed me zyrtec, an anti allergy medicine. I used to break out in rashes, sneeze, eyes water, I looked like I just snorted battery acid. The zyrtec suppresses it all. I can pet my shepard all day long and not get the least bit itchy or rashy. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

That happends to me too but it seem's like when i eat the meet i'm fine
Old 12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Me, too. I occasionally get a reaction to the hair when I'm gutting and skinning, but eating the meat is no problem! My stepdad has the same deal, only worse, but he can still eat about 12 pounds of deer steak in a meal.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: woody7

Probably is the dander. Use a dusk mask, latex gloves and benadryl. I always use latex gloves to gut, just to avoid the mess.
If you are allergy prone, you should not use latex gloves, you can develop an allergy to latex from continued contact. Use the "latex free" Nitril gloves. They work just as well....
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I ain't no sissy deer slayer. But then again a nice gallon jug of water or some baby wipes (they call them HOO-AHHS and yes them suckers come in a resealable camo pack) makes clean up easier. I wouldn't wanna get blood stains on my new ostrich skin cowboy boots LOL!!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:25 AM

I am also allergic to deer fur, however my reaction isn't as bad. I'm a pharmacist and I use a prescription allergy medication (ie. Allegra, Zyrtec etc). I take it every morning before going out into the field, it'll prevent the allergic reaction from happening if you come into contact w/ deer fur throughout the day. Benadryl also works well, one drawback though, it makes most people drowsy . . . not much fun when you need to be wide awake. Hope the advice helps.