Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

disappointed hunter

Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: disappointed hunter

Thats definetly true you cant eat the antlers, im just as proud of a doe as i am a buck. The biggest buck i ever killed was only a 7 point about 13 inches wide, but i was really proud of him. I love deer meat and dont care what it is, buck or doe, as long as i have tenderloin in the fridge. I get irritated when i hear people knock someone who kills does, saying we should only take bucks, heck a few years of that and there goes your buck population. I actually look forward to does season more than buck, cause i hardly ever get the chance at a really nice buck. Most of the bucks i have killed were spikes, 3's or 4 points, but they all tasted great. Just my two cents im sure alot of people will think diffrent.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just in favor of someone hunting and enjoying it. If you want to try and manage your herd with the expectations of raising trophy deer, then go ahead. If you are a meat hunter, then go ahead. I just hate to see a division among hunters just because some don't hunt the same way. Most of the methods of hunting are handed down, and it is just the natural way of hunting in the area among friends and family.
I'll second that.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:22 AM

I agree. If you want to hunt and kill trophies then so be it good for you that is your personal way to hunt, but don't bash someone for hunting the opposite of you, that too is their personal way to hunt. I remember a few years ago i killed my first buck it was a small 4 point that probably weighed less then 100 pounds soaking wet and man i never heard the end of it from my uncle (which passes up almost everything he sees unless its a wall-hanger). It was my first buck for crying out loud I can't believe some people even my own uncle are so critical even of someone's FIRST BUCK!! But in all truth some of those little bucks need to be taken for good buck management so that people like my uncle will have a better chance of seeing a older, bigger buck. So I personally found the positives in my kill like good meat, my first buck, and it was a step toward good buck management in my opinion.