Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut piles

Old 11-11-2004, 07:19 AM

Default RE: Gut piles

The largest deer taken off our place last year was shot at our gut pit. Nice 12 point.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:24 AM

Default RE: Gut piles

If it's an area you are going to continue to hunt over, maybe you can pull it a short way in the valley at least out of your main shooting lane if that's a factor.

But with regards to gut piles, where we hunt in the UP of Michigan, gut piles tend to disappear very quickly. Last year a shot a doe around 10 in the morning and gutted her where she laid then dragged her out. When I came back out around 2:30 or so that afternoon I went back to get my arrow that I had left. Between the birds and coyotes everything was basically gone. I did see one coyote come back around 4 or so from my treestand, but still had a spike or forkhorn come in shortly after that. Deer didn't seem to care at all.