Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A few questions I need help with.....

Old 11-07-2004, 09:58 PM

Default A few questions I need help with.....

Hello all, my first post after following for a while.....

Tree stand placement- Is it still a good idea/necessary to hunt the wind in a tree climber up @20-35 feet? (just got one)

Do you stalk your way into your tree or just make as fast as possible trip to it and get uptree and situated as fast as possible?

Do you ( if used) leave your red headlight on as you ascend/ descend your tree in darkness?

Homemade Scent Killer- Wouldn't using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) bleach your hunting clothes? Or is it diluted to the point where it has absolutly no bleaching properties?

How far of a shot (I say 40-50 yards tops, but other people tell me up to 75 ???!!!!) would you comfortably take in the open with a shotgun (Remington 11-87) w/ 00, 000 buckshot?

How long after sunset do you wait until you decide to leave? (When doing so w/ climber on your back do you stalk out or get out as fast as possible?)
Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A few questions I need help with.....

Always hunt the wind. As an experiment get up in a tree about 25 feet and take some of these wind air current pieces of light thread (don't remember the name brand) and let them go. Sometimes they will float around and go upwards and sometimes they will almost blow straight down.
Easy in to the stand and get up as quickly, quietly and safely as you can.
Use the light, rather be able to see than the slim chance you would spook something. Deer aren't suppose to be able to see the light anyway.
40 yards with buckshot, why not use a slug if you are still hunting?
Ease out after dark, again quickly, quietly and safely.