Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trying out different bullets

Old 11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trying out different bullets

I'm hunting whitetails with a 300 Win Mag so I'm trying out different loads. After spending a decent amount of cash in pursuit of a great "all around" load for my gun I've figured out that my rifle really likes 150gr bullets the most. I've used Nosler Parititions in the past but I'd like to steer away from premium bullets and use something that I can shoot a lot at the range for less cash. I'd like to load it to around 3200-3300 fps so it needs to be tough enough to penetrate at that speed. The guy doing the reloading is kind of pushing Speer HotCores. I'd like to try Remington Core Lokts as well (?not sure if they'll hold up with high velocity/close range shots though?). I'm hunting in Saskatchewan and have bagged a couple 300 pounders so I wanted to mention that. If you think the Partition or other premium bullet is the best way to go then let me know!

I'll be getting some loads done this week. I don't have a lot of experience with different bullet types so thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM

Default RE: Trying out different bullets

I use the Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady SST as target/ practice bullets and the Nosler Partitions or Accubonds or the Hornady Interbonds as hunting bullets. I find that the same powder charge with the same weight bullets work fine for the various bullet types.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:07 PM

hornady interlocks seem to hold up well in our 300 wsm. velocities are running about the same as the winmag. the bullets seem to hold together well after impact. we use both 180's and 150's like the 150's for open range and 180's for thick coulees. we can get a hundred bullets for 12 bucks here in the states
Old 11-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll second the Hornady Interlock Spire Point bullet, they are reasonable but hold up very well on deer. I know several guys who shoot the 150 gr .308 Interlock SP's and none complain about performance or accuracy.

The NP's you used are a great bullet and they will get the job done be it close or far...they are pricey but to be honest they are the bullet many solid constructed "premiums" are measured against..they flat out work b/c they give you a bit of everything! I don't use them I prefer expansion & tapered heel bullet on whitetails/antelope, as you already know my choice is the NBT. You may want to give them a run if you aim for the lungs mostly..they are a bit cheaper than the NP's but still "premium" so they do cost more than standard sp's.

Good Luck!