Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To Rattle Up That Big Buck ?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default To Rattle Up That Big Buck ?

Im thinking of ratteling for the first time.

Any tips on how to set up to do it ??

I will probbly be useing a ground blind A brush blind or something nateral.

Any tips would be appreacted.

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 11-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To Rattle Up That Big Buck ?

Try not to get frustrated! Sometimes they respond and sometimes not, in fact, if they're not in the "mood" to respond you'll probably be spooking them. I've rattled all day from spot to spot and seen nothing then the next day a big buck will come charging in...so you just never know.

I usually rattle for a few minutes, bang/scrape the antlers against a tree, throw in a couple grunts (bleets may make it sound like they're fighting over a doe), wait for 15-20 minutes or so and go at it again. If I get no response in 45-60 minutes I'll stop. Then I'll either stalk and maybe find another good vantage point to call from or if I'm just calling that day I'll drive to another calling spot.

Don't worry TOO much about hiding yourself; afterall, if they think there's a fight happening they will expect some movement! However, if you see a deer responding you can stop calling...it's done it's job! Maybe a grunt or two at that point wouldn't hurt.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot in 1987 I tryed to rattle up one and did,

But it got dark real fast and I didn't see the buck.

Well maybe it will work for me this year.

I sure hope so.

Well Good Luck to Every One.

jrbsr
Old 11-07-2004, 06:05 PM

If you are using real antlers size matters. You don't want to use sheds off a B&C deer to imitate a fight. Think about it, if you heard 2 real big guys fighting over a gal would you want to go in and challenge a big fella. Nope. By sounding smaller the bigger buck will more likely come in because if he is challenged he is very confident he will pull off the win. I use just a small basket racked 4 x 4 rack that really seems to work well for me. Don't be too agressive often just a tinkle or grinding is enough to get the job done.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Location is the key, I rattle in transition areas (bush). Closer to rut I rattle as close as possible to the bucks bedding areas. Pre rut - post rut meadows, ridges, funnels, rublines are also good choices. I always pay particular attention to the backdoor side and make sure I have a shooting lane on the circling bucks. The actual rattling I use is tinkle/grinding not smashing them together. I also throw in rubbing of trees, scraping and rustling on the ground. During full blown rut I will throw in grunts and thumping on the ground at the end to resemble a deer fleeing. My sessions are start soft and short (30-45) then bring up the intensity/duration (60-90), I wait min of 20 minutes and will only rattle one area for 3 hours max and never rattle in the exact same on successive days. During the early pre rut rattling during low light works good, however closer to rut I rattle in the mid day and this is where I find my most success on mature deer. I agree with Hiawatha in the antler size as well, I use average 4x4 set off a harvested deer with the brow removed to eliminate smashed knuckles. To me being attentive is very important some bucks will come smashing in while other will tip toe up, after every rattle session the gun and I am on ready JIC.

It doesn't work everytime like stated, just keep to it and use the response to further your technique. When I first started to rattle may get one or 2 deer that I saw come in a season, now I can have several in a single day. It is a development process like any other skill, you learn by practice, making mistakes and adapting.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 AM

I agree, saw off those brow tines and save your fingers! Also use the antlers front to back, much less likely to whack your fingers that way. I start soft, just lightly tap them together, with some rubbing back and forth. Break for several seconds, and repeat a bit louder. Remember, unless the bucks are evenly matched, fights only last several seconds.
Nothing as exciting as rattling up bucks.