Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

4-Wheelers in the deer woods, good or bad for hunting?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:09 PM

Default RE: 4-Wheelers in the deer woods, good or bad for hunting?

Hey southark where in ar are you i am in south ar too.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

ok all bickering aside lets see something what states are feeders legal i know il is not
Old 11-07-2004, 09:46 PM

They are legal in arkansas.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't allow them to be used on our land. I'm inclined to get in and out of the woods as scent free, slow, and quiet as humanly possible. Those of you that prefer the ride to your stand..... knock your socks off it's a free country do as you please. Matter of preference I suppose. My logic behind it is the same as a number of these questions that come up. It adds an extra element that doesn't need to be added. If there's a question of DOES IT spook deer, then obviously there is concern that it does and hence potential. So my opinion is.... take it out of the equation..... don't do it then. End of doubt. Same goes for people asking about smoking on stand or eating on stand or chewing on stand. Does it spook deer? Maybe yes maybe no. IMHO if there is a doubt I aint gonna do it. I suppose the only one that really knows are the deer and they aren't saying much. But, I have no problem with people that want to (or in some cases have to) drive to their hunting locations. It's your hunting go for it.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

feeders on the other hand????

errrrrrrrr ahem I won't comment [:-]
Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 AM

annie i am originally from the camden area and still call it home. but at the moment i live in around hot springs close to lake ouachita uhhh bordering the national forest.
but i am in the process of moving closer to little rock due to my job. probably very rural saline county is where i am looking. i will drive long distances to work to avoid living in a suburb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or having a neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can take the boy from the country but you can't take the country out of the boy!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:50 AM

Boy did this topic flash in my head yesterday!
My son and i went to get our camper set up on our farm that border my club. we went to finish a stand that i had put out a month ago. yep we drove the old honda right up to it and i was working on some camo burlap to go around the top window area. my son was in the tower stand and said hey look at that deer. i turned around and about 50 yards stood a nice 8 pt with probably a 15 to 17" spread. good mass and tine length.
the buck was looking at us and then just trotted away.
now we hadnt been there 5 minutes! and he came from the direction we had just driven.
didnt seem to bother him that bad.
needless to say if he trys that saturday he'll be in my freezer and his trophy will be hanging somewhere at my house.

Now off topic i know but feeders have paid for my welder and stands have paid for my oxy/acy unit. i have 3 feeders with motors of my own right now. there is some belief from those that have never had feeders that deer just RUN right to it and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
I know in places like texas it is kind of like that . but these feeders go all year and have been going for years!these deer are conditioned to the feeder. you cannot put a feeder out 1,2 3 ,4 weeks or months out before season and have deer just swarming around it!
my feeders are dormant at the moment even the one i can see from living room. deer have acorns and will not eat corn! as a matter of fact i have corn shooting up from the ground at my feeder behind the house.

if someone wants to put them out i have no problem but i just hope they don't think it's a magic maker. and buy them from me i need money for more food plot seed!