Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

I'm starting to have second thoughts about TX if that's the kind of hunting done down there.
LOL, you cant be serious can you?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:29 PM

third year in the program, in a one buck county. I sure would like to pick your brain on this, its hard to find anyone that knows anything about this program. Do u know what your count was? and what your county cenus is on deer?

see something good is coming from this crappy thread!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Ive sat here and read all 7 pages of this post, Very interesting! The title of the this topic shouldnt be "you arent a hunter". it should be "Hunting with RAMBO". Everyone that is registered to this site is a Hunter. The way he or she hunts is up to them. I myself have tried about all u can try, still hunting to stand hunting. But since Im blue collar and trying to raise a family, Im limited to the time I can put into the woods. So I perfer Stand hunting, and lots of them, say 5 or 6 stands Placed On trails and food sources on the property I hunt. And If I get off work early enuff Ill hunt a certain stand depending on wind. on the weekend if Im not working so the boss can hunt, Ill be in the woods. Im glad uncle sam, tom, or whoever has taught you well. But until your army boots or socks have walked in other peoples shoes, Id respect how the others in here Hunt. And like Montgomery Gentry say "YOU DO YOUR THING ILL DO MINE" And by the way congrats on your Illegal 10 pt. Nice work srg..
Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

I'm starting to have second thoughts about TX if that's the kind of hunting done down there.
LOL, you cant be serious can you?
Why wouldn't I be serious? I'm retired and now drawing a nice little retirement. I can move anywere. With everything I've been hearing about the hunting in that state. I hear that about the only thing down there to hunt is white tail. and then only 2 to three months out of the year depending on how you hunt.
I hear that the fishing is good though.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Considering that the ranch has been in the program for 3 years, and you apparently had such a high pop. count it seems like you should have gotten much more tags then you did. Maybe the fact that your in a 1 buck county might have something to do with it, I'm not sure. The ranch I'm talking about is in Duval county. I'll be honest with you, I'm not very familiar with the MLD program or the paperwork that is involved. I try to give as much of the paperwork to the ranch secretary and/or the ranch manager as possible (they love me for that). We did an arial count using a helicopter back a couple of months ago (doing another one this weekend). We counted alittle over 400 does and about 227 bucks, but we did not fly the whole ranch at that time. They did another count on the rest of the ranch about a week later. I wasent there at that time, and I still havent looked at the total number of deer counted during that survey, although I'm guessing its going to be about 75-100 does and 25-40 bucks. I know our objective for this season is to harvest 125 does and atleast 50 bucks, but we did not get this many MLD tags, these numbers are just our TOTAL harvest recommendations for the year. We got about 80 MLD doe tags and 30 MLD buck tags for the year. So to meet our harvest quota we have to either invite friends/family out or sell package hunts, which we will do both of I'm sure. I'm going to the ranch later this evening and will be back probably sat. night, I'll make sure to get all of the correct numbers and any other information about the MLD program that I can find in the office. I'll also ask Andy (the manager) for the exact numbers. I'll try to help you understand the process the best I can, I know it took me a while to remember/understand everything that I know, which isint much
Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 PM

Aroundtheblock:

Yes you are right. We have the biggest whitetail herd in the country, one of the longest seasons (from the end of Sept.-the beginning of Feb. most of the time). We have more wildhogs running around then we know what to do with, not to mention all of the Javelina which both can be hunted year around. We have some of the best quail hunting (2 types) in the country, not to mention all the dove, geese, ducks etc. We also have some excellent mule deer hunting in west and north Texas, plus some big antelopes that can be hunted if you get a LO tag. I almost forgot the turkey, some parts of the state you cant through a stick with out hitting one. Plus what about all the exotic game running around? Not many people know that axis, fallow, sika, aoudad, barbadoes, black buck, and even elk run wild in parts of Texas and all of these animals can be hunted by simply buying a lic.

Plus all tags in Texas (except bighorn sheep, pronghorn, & alligator) are over the counter. On your lic. you get 3 w/t buck tags, 2 w/t doe tags, 1 muledeer buck tag, 1 muledeer doe tag, 4 turkey tags and thats all just on the standard lic. You have the chance to pay alittle more ($60 total) and you can get all the tags you can imagine that will allow you to hunt just about anything that moves.

So as you can see and from what you've heard, it is true,Texas offers a very "poor" hunting oppurtunity........ but atleast our fishing is good
Old 10-29-2004, 04:23 PM

As much as I hate to get caught up in , but I feel obligated to respond. Being a former paratrooper myself, and having worked and lived around Rangers and Specail ops nearly all of my adult life, I have to say at best I think his guy is a Wanne-Ranger. There is a quite professionalism that is an unspoken code among our best soldiers. Something that his fellow should have learned by the time he was a PFC and should be a model of as a Staff Sergeant. If you think he is silly for stalking deer in his socks. Picture the absurdity of stalking another person with rifle in your barefeet. One thing I know is combat is governed by Murphy's Law, and no sane person go into enemy action barefooted.

Every guy that I have ever met that started out about how bad he was in the service has turned out to be phony. The next thing you're likely to hear is about him and John Kerry on the Mekong Delta. All I can say if you are in fact a Ranger (I have my doubts) , then show some diginity. My god ,we already have the other type running for president.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 PM

You served our country thanks. So have millions of others without wearing their military service across their forehead or keyboard for all to see .However, enough of the bravado and the excavation of the latrine hole you have dug without the utilization of anything other than your typing abilities. In all reality, how one chooses to hunt is a personal decision that should not be criticized by a fellow hunter. Ethics was not a requirement to graduate BT, AIT or NCO when I was in the service and it is obvious between 88 and 2000 it still is not. Based on the methods you claim to have utilized since your arrival on this site in your pursuit of deer you have not picked up ethics along the road of life either. IMHO..Checking the game laws and abiding by them is step one. Step two is to respect the game you pursue. Step three is to enjoy the experience and try to pass the positive aspects of our sport along to others. There is enough criticisims in everyday life, there is no need for it in ones choice of legal recreational pursuits.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 PM

thanks to u i am now stupider than i was
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM

I think u are also bragging on being a jarhead or a grunt big deal u were in the military my beast friend is full blooded indian an he taught me all i need to no so pull your head out of ur butt an get real

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.