Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

The whole story sounds like BS to me. I will normally give someone the benefit of the doubt, but this "hunt" has bigger holes than the Titanic. If you actually kill a deer, in season, legally, let me know. Until then, maybe you should try hunting in a stand like the rest of us lazy slackers.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ARanger
For those of you who hunt from a stand I say More power to you. Good luck and good hunting, but let's not kid ourselves, the only real skill needed is a large pocket book and a lot of patence.
hehe. Not writing this to "the ranger," but to any newby too naive to see that the guy is full of newly dropped cow chips. You can be as bad a still hunter as you can be a bad stand hunter. There are guys who get out on the day of the hunt and just walk around, crunching and clanging through the woods hoping to "see something." Sometimes they get tired, sit down a spell and then finally luck out, but usually they just go home empty-handed. A good hunter, whether he hunts using a climber or not, will employ considerable skill in locating sign, finding food sources, bedding areas, determining weather, wind direction and deer movement patterns based upon land features and a host of woodsman skills to descry where and how he will hunt. The guy who just throws up a stand without skill is just as likely to wind up telling lies here on huntingnet as is our beloved still-hunting ranger.

Lamps permit indeed. This guy here has obviously gotten himself trapped in several lies and now has searched the web for a way out. Not finding one, he settles on the LAMPS permit, which doesn't even allow him to take his 10 point monster. So, to try getting around that he basically has to call his own father-in-law a poacher. "He seemed kind of touchy about the subject..." That is really pathetic - desperately pathetic. It would have been better had the guy simply changed his username and posted as someone other than the now defamed ARanger.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:54 PM

In Texas there are certain permits (MLDP) that allow you to hunt deer with a rifle before the general rifle season starts. One of my ranches is in the program, our rifle season started on Oct. 2nd and it runs through the end of Jan. Alot of ranches in south Texas are in MLD program. The only problem that I have with AR's thread is that he said he was hunting on his father-in-laws 100 acre place. In Texas 100 acres isnt sh*t. Ranches generally have to be several thousand acres to qualify for the MLD program, I dont think Texas parks & wildlife would even allow a 100 acre "lot" to be include in any special program.

But there are programs that allow landowners and hunters to start hunting with a rifle before the general public can. There are 3 levels of the MLD program. Your ranch is either in step 1, step 2, or step 3. Step 3 takes several years before you can quailfy for the program, but it allows you to take an X amount of does and an X amount of bucks off of the ranch before the general season starts.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:24 PM

I know for a 110% fact that the ONLY level 3 MLDP ranch in the area he is hunting is Cullen Ranch. The deer herd is just not here yet. MLDP is a painstaking process that takes many, many cenuses by land and air. 100 acre plot, even high fenced would not qualify for the survey.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:27 PM

We had 480 deer counted in one night on a 7000 acre ranch, we got 36 does tags. We were turned down for level 2 (thats doe and spike)
Old 10-29-2004, 02:49 PM

You know your area better then I do. I know its a pain in the butt to get MLD tags, but my ranch has been in the program for a while so we quailfy for level 3. We have to take off about 125 does and 50 bucks (most of which will be culls). Like you said, a 100 acre "ranch" will not quailfy for MLD, especially not level 3.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:01 PM

hmmm seems to me like a big peace of BS.

i am not tring to tell you moderators what to do or your job. but you might want to put up a block on this thread. nothing good is comeing from it other then finding out that IF ARanger- really did kill a deer it was very unleagal which only gives ANTIS something to protest about.

and ARanger- i don't give a sh#t about your "well sence i served in the army i am better then you" attitude! you come in here stating that you are better then us and then say how great of a hunter you are... o wait did i say hunter? i ment poacher. hell anyone can drive up to a deer and shoot it and that is pretty much what you are doing by shooting them outa season.

and can you tell me where i could find a 207? i have been looking all over for one
Old 10-29-2004, 03:06 PM

TXhighrack, we asked about this, sure did seem like alittle amount of tag per number of deer counted. Plus they said at the count would only count for a small portion of the deer on the land. Here's were it gets you. Its judged by deer habitat per county. If your county only has say 14k acres "good" deer land (set forth by the state) then your land holds half the deer population. Which we know is untrue, but...... Being that we are in a high human, low deer county, the state is useing our lease to hold the majority of the deer herd for the county. I layman terms we have an out of wack doe to buck ratio because the county is small and has too many people living in it.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ARanger

ORIGINAL: SavannahHunter

California to new jersey huh? Thats great but just where were you stationed as a Ranger and what Bat were you in?
To answer your question:

From 88' to 2000' Bco 1st Bat 75th Ft Benning GA

Want to know my jock strap size also??

Were did you serve?
Wow, I just finished reading through all of the posts on here. I just retired from the Rangers after 24 years. And my wife's sister is in Texas and that is were my wife wants to move back to. I used to know a staff sargent Martin. This couldn't be the same guy. The SSG Martin I knew that was from TX would never shoot one out of season. I'm starting to have second thoughts about TX if that's the kind of hunting done down there.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:24 PM

Counting 400+ deer in one night and only getting 36 tags seems like you guys got riped off. I'm really surprised that ya'll got turned down for level 2. How many years has that ranch been in the program?

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.