Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 AM

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

I have absolutely no desire to get mixed up in this circus but being an ex jarhead I got to put my 2 cents worth in here. Walking around out in the dense woods or through the cactus terrain with out any kind of footware is just plain nuts!!! And if you are doing this it's just a matter of time till you end up in a hospital. Being macho is one thing---being completely ignorant to your surroundings is another.......nuff said
Old 10-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

You mean you guys haven't heard of those early season shoot older mature buck tags?? They give them out all the time you know most places have a problem with all of these older bucks on their property.

How did you age this older buck while it was lying in it's bed?

You hunt with a rifle what's so tough about that?

I smell something and it's not daisy's nope it's more like BS!.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:42 AM

Okay, Talked to the old man and he was a little vague on the subject but he's some how related to the game warden and has something called a lamps permit. Anyone know what that is?
He seemed kind of touchy about the subject...

I looked in the book and it doesn't say what a lamps permit is other than you don't have to complete the tag log if you have one. Ref. regulations summery pg. 63
Old 10-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Well. Okay. So, it is now well established that the ranger is lying http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve/lamps/.

But this little teapot tempest does bring up an interesting point. I once saw an electronic deer calling system with several of those bullhorn gizmos attached to it. It is probably legal to use these, but don't yall think this is a bit much? For me, gadgetry is best spent for comfort items, like warm apparel, TP, socks, boots, TP and things like TP . Taking a bunch of electronic "deer finders" and calling devices and xray machines into the woods seems to take the rusticness out of the thing for me. You guys consider it "hunting" to use all of this stuff?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:55 AM

Landowner Assisted Managed Permits, but you still have to hunt with-in the seasons set forth by the state or your WMP (wildlife management plan) biologist. The only way you would be alble to take a buck with a rifle before the state general rifle season starts would to be granted a Level 3 MLDP (managed land deer permit) The ONLY place with-in 200 miles of Dallas that has a level 3 tag is Cullen Ranch. I advise you as a fellow hunter to make sure you know what you can hunt with the tags you got. The fines for game theft has gone up, and could cost you over a hundred thounsand dollars depending on the size and age of deer you have stolen from the state.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:10 AM

Now you just have to appreciate the irony of a guy coming here to berate people and talk down their hunting methods only to be caught either in the middle of a BS story or an admitted poaching offense. ROTFLMAO Especially considering his high and mighty hollier than thou attitude[:-]
Old 10-29-2004, 11:20 AM

DO NOT CONFUSS LUCK WITH SKILL
Old 10-29-2004, 11:56 AM

Has anyone noticed that this thread has the largest number of replies...If nothing else it has given us something to do for the last few days.

For those of you who hunt from a stand I say More power to you. Good luck and good hunting, but let's not kid ourselves, the only real skill needed is a large pocket book and a lot of patence. On a side note, it does seem to be a good way to get away from the family for a while. I mean you can take your kids hunting but what knowledge exactly is being passed on? How to sit? What kind of time are you really spending with them? I wouldn't emagine it's very safe to put everyone into one tree so as to have the opportunity to point out all of natures wonders.

For those of you who spend your time on the ground and understand the diffaculties involved with finding, interpreting, devoloping, and tracking sign and then the challenges involved in stalking your target without being seen, heard, or sented....go get em.

I have noticed a few comments regarding how some of you are tired of us ex-military types comming out all cocky...HA...I was cocky before I joind the military. And I'm glad that you get to enjoy the freedoms you have that men and women like me have fought to protect....like hunting. I however, served my time and then some...I've earned the right to be "cocky".

So in closing I say, It really doesn't matter how you hunt. What truly matters is how you cook it up!

SSG Martin
Old 10-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Their is no honor in coming home breaking the laws that at one time you swore to protect.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ARanger
Okay, Talked to the old man and he was a little vague on the subject but he's some how related to the game warden and has something called a lamps permit. Anyone know what that is?
He seemed kind of touchy about the subject...
Maybe he seemed kind of touchy about it because he knows he's breaking the law! POACHING!
LAMPS permits are mainly for taking extra does! Even with the LAMPS permits you have to use legal means and methods for the season being hunted!
It is ironically funny that someone comes here, chest all puffed up talking about how much better of a hunter than the rest of us that he is, and then watch him try to explain his way out of poaching!!!
Keep talking, the hole is getting deeper!

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.