Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-28-2004, 11:45 AM

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I also disagree that sitting and waiting can all be considered no skill. Their is a big difference between hanging a treestand or building a blind, etc where you hope to shoot a deer and that of choosing a spot you expect to shoot a deer. There are many who hunting isn't a 1 week, month, etc season but a 12 month persuit. There are those who have numerous stands or blinds and who spend countless hours scouting and pouring over terrain. While some choose to employ tactics that we may feel are less "skilled" the fact they have put forth effort in the persuit must be acknowledged. The ones that truly are successful year in year out in various forms are skilled hunter but maybe not in the way you are skilled. It is a skill to look at an area, take the sign and develop a plan that will envoke results. It is as much of a skill (one I certainly don't have) to sit motionless for days on end swinging in a tree or on a cold log, etc. It is a skill to call animal into your location or to stalk them like you did. The list goes on.......

Lest not forgot their are also those who have limited area to hunt or opportunity to hunt or scout they are simply out to enjoy and possibly harvest some venison. One can not exlude them as hunters either and certainly each have skills that bring different forms of results.

I certainly don't agree with every method or form others use personally but that doesn't make them less of a "hunter" in my mind. First and foremost the passion that fuels me I suspect is much the same for a great number of hunters while it may not be as deep or in some cases deeper than that of mine..it is a common ground we share.
Well Said.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

You know whats really funny is that once and awhile some guy will start posting crap on here to get everyone mad.I don't know why these poeple start with such stupid posts, because now we can't take anything he says seriously.A friend of mine had this cousin come back home from the army and this guy thought he was some sniper.Let me tell you one thing this guy could not hit the broadside of a barn.I'm not saying that is true for all ex army.All I'm saying is that don't go bragging in the wrong company.I know some hunters that have been shooting rifles for 50 years and would embarrass most military men in a big game hunting situation.Yes I know deer don't shoot back that that is a totally different ballgame.I have nothing but respect for those who put their lives on the line for us.But don't come back home telling us that now your a better hunter than us ok.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:37 PM

I've been known to hunt both ways stalk and sit. BUT to stalk hunt a 100 acres with more then 3 hunters on it. Little close for comfort for me.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

What gets me is this "great hunter" fired a shot before season opens. I asked him what he shot for a reason, and he says "207" I also hunt the Longview/Tyler area, and the season opens Nov. 6th. bow season is going on, but his buddies wouldn't have heard the shot, and muzzleloader season opens Jan 8th. So I would rather wait and be legal, than stalk during the off season!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 AM

Okay, I'm a man who can admit when I'm wrong...

Since last night was the full moon I decided to try out a stand for a change and see for myself what it was like. Since the majority of hunters seem to use them and I don't want to ostrasize myself from this community, I thought it would be a good idea to at least give it a try.

I borrowed a "self climbing" stand from a friend and a compound bow from my cousin and headed out to his 10 acre plot up in Tawakiny (probably spelled that wrong). He's spent a number of years fixing up that little peice of land with 2 feeders and feed plots of different kinds of clover and what not to draw in the deer. After some effert I finally got the stand into a nice tree over one of the feeders and secured myself and began to wait. And wait. And wait....

About 5 am this morning my efforts finally paid off...the scrawniest doe I've ever seen (she really did look sickly) graced me with her company. She hung around the feeder for about twenty minutes. I swear she knew I was there and just didn't care.

The thing is...after having sat up in that stand for ten hours, being eaten alive bye every bug known to man. When that pathetic little doe walked up I was ready to kill her for no other reason then to justify the cramp in my ass.

So, once again let me say "I WAS WRONG"!!!!!! I whole hartedly appoligize to anyone that I may have inadvertently offended by posting my opinion.

I have learned that hunting from a stand requires some skill and a concederable amount of patience and above all the self controle (I let her go).

I'll stick to the ground and Stalking though. I just prefer to feel the Earth under my feet, knees, and belly. Good luck to all on the up comming rifle season. Hope to see some nice pictures posted. One of these days I'll invest in a camera myself.

The need to fix this thing with a spell check....once again, just an opinion...

SSG Martin
Old 10-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, do you smell that? Wait....yeah, I definitely smell it.....BS.

First of all, I think you are full of crap. And lets say, for arguments sake, that you aren't, then keep unnecessary offending posts to your self. What good does posted a title of "you aren't a hunter" do? My father spent years teaching me to hunt, and along with stalking we do plenty of sitting in our "self climbing treestands". Youmake it sound like we should all bow down to you because you are the only "real" hunter on this board. Well, ya know what, shove it. In your book I'm not a "real hunter", but in my book you are an arrogant egotistical loser.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: St.Barnard

What gets me is this "great hunter" fired a shot before season opens. I asked him what he shot for a reason, and he says "207" I also hunt the Longview/Tyler area, and the season opens Nov. 6th. bow season is going on, but his buddies wouldn't have heard the shot, and muzzleloader season opens Jan 8th. So I would rather wait and be legal, than stalk during the off season!
My father-in-law has a permit to cull out the older bucks on his property or something. I'm not sure of the detales and won't pretend to be. I just know he spent quite some time and a lot of effert to be able to do it and he invited us. I really didn't expect to see anything to be honest.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:39 AM

ARanger, if you are talking about the Lake Tawakoni area, this is where I was born and raised. I would check with your father-in-law about what tags he has or thinks he has. TPWD does not issue cull buck tags, the onlt thing they will give are MLD permits and theses are for does, and you will not get MLD tags on a 10 acre plot. If you have any question I would be happy to give you the cell phone numbers to our local game wardens. Or i'll even have them give you a call if you wish.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own and to steal a line from another board member, I personally would rather pay $500 for a hot dog than hunt in the method that you described. You do what floats your boat and I will do what floats mine. For me it's outsmarting the deer and being where you think he is going to be and turning out to be right. It's realeasing an arrow when he never has any idea that you are around. I just don't derive satisfation from shooting deer with guns or from walking around until I happen to bump into one. But we're all different and there's nothing wrong with that. We just have different styles and ideas about what hunting really is. If I had to hunt like you do I would probably quit. I just don't see any challenge or particualr skill set in it. I don't know maybe there there are some hunters out there that can't stalk hunt but it's hard to imagine.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: EASTXHUNTER

ARanger, if you are talking about the Lake Tawakoni area, this is where I was born and raised. I would check with your father-in-law about what tags he has or thinks he has. TPWD does not issue cull buck tags, the onlt thing they will give are MLD permits and theses are for does, and you will not get MLD tags on a 10 acre plot. If you have any question I would be happy to give you the cell phone numbers to our local game wardens. Or i'll even have them give you a call if you wish.
Tawakoni is where I went last night...I was using a bow. My father-in-law's ranch is in between Gilmer / Ore City.

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.