Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

Hunting is different everywhere. What works in some terrain won't work in another. Each to his own. If you enjoy the way you hunt and it makes you happy then your doing it right. I hunt from Ambush points up on top of the breaks because the breaks are to rough to walk and the cover to heavy to spot anything to stalk. Thats my way and its worked great for 48 years so far. Here is hoping you all have a good season. We are still three weeks away from the first season.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:19 PM

California to new jersey huh? Thats great but just where were you stationed as a Ranger and what Bat were you in?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:26 PM

AR I was taught many years ago that rule #1 is never enter a bedding area as it will make the deer move to another. Shooting deer in a bedding area is like shooting ducks in a barrel, You may be a hunter but you are by far not a sportsman. Your post title is what made me post because I am so tired of you young bucks fresh out of the military with egos twice the size of your head. Been there and done that then I grew up to reality that I wasnt any more special than any one else. Any one can do what you do if given the training that you have had but not all of us want to be or want to hunt like you. Just because some of us dont hunt like you doesnt mean we arent hunters. Yep you opened up a big can of worms with your choice of wording! If this offends you I am sorry but you offended me!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: SavannahHunter

California to new jersey huh? Thats great but just where were you stationed as a Ranger and what Bat were you in?
To answer your question:

From 88' to 2000' Bco 1st Bat 75th Ft Benning GA

Want to know my jock strap size also??

Were did you serve?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious, what type of gun do you use. I usually use a .243, but son will use it this yr and I will use a 30-.06
Old 10-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

I stayed behind and caught a short nap in the truck. as the sun came up I decided it was time to get started and begin the process of "FINDING" my deer. After stalking some good sign for about three hours I came upon a bedding site and there he was....a monster 10 point.
Yeah, and Bush is still gonna beat ya. [:-]
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM

Here, see if this helps...this is the only pic of me from those days that I have on this computer...I'm the one in the prone position with the .308 to my shoulder. Sorry for the qual...had to resize to post.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: St.Barnard

Just curious, what type of gun do you use. I usually use a .243, but son will use it this yr and I will use a 30-.06
I just tested a Win. M70 Super Shadow WSM in the .207caliber. I was amazed! It was a sweet rifle. I'll be using it from now on. I was firing the 130 gr. Supreme Ballistic Silvertip and was very happy with it's preformance. The recoil pad on this rifle came standard and took out about 80% of the felt recoil. It would be a great weapon for anyone regardless of age and is fairly inexpensive...got mine at Wal-mart for $399.99. it came with a scope but I have a ATN Tactical that I use... The stock can't be beat...it's not just pretty but has an excelant grip.

Here is a picture I jacked from Guns and Ammo...I don't have one of mine on this computer.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

Well, it really doesn't help at all, except perhaps to confirm my suspicion that you are indeed John Kerry, hunting deer on your belly instead of still-hunting on your feet or sitting in your stand.

Hey, since this picture is just the back of some guy's head who is shooting a gun, we really can deduce very little from it. I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of guys who have shot guns in the army - I mean PLENTY of them. What I'd like to see is you and that monster 10 pointer. That would help - but only a little, because there would be virtually nothing in that picture showing you taking your little nap and then later waltzing into the woods in broad daylight to do a little impromptu scouting as you walk into a bedding area and tag your monster. I'm not saying categorically that you didn't take the monster. I am saying that your putting other guys down for using certain legitimate tools suggests that you are too immature to tell the truth here. So, I suspect you are lying.

The fact is hunters know that stalking is not feasible in all circumstances, I don't care how much training you have. While I almost always hunt on foot, I also understand that it is perfectly acceptable to scout a region, determine the "best" place to put a climber, and then wait patiently for the action. In some regions and situations I will use a stand every time.

And yeah, I can take deer in jeans. Heck, I can probably take 'em buck nekkid. But I think with camo hunting apparel that is made for comfort just sitting there staring me in the face, it is just stupid not to take advantage of it. Cotton kills pal, at least in some regions where I hunt. You can waltz around in your jeans if you wish, but when the family jewels get frozen to your thigh you won't slinging all of that "army ranger" crap then. LOL

The upshot of the thing is this: where hunting is concerned, there are very many ways to skin the cat and they are all quite legit. Ragging on your buddies for using some tools of the hunt is just plain bad form. Start your school, but I hope your students go elsewhere to learn some class.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aranger, up close with a sharp object we call bowhunting up here! Try it sometime..lol.
Thankful you bet ain't a day goes by I am not giving thanks for the opportunities I am afforded.

As stated many ways to hunt, as many why and in the end who really cares, if legal go hard! Hunting is a fraternity but it is also very much a solo sport where one must make personal decisions, in my mind if that decision is made with no regrets than it makes you happy and that it is AOK with me. I have hunted successfully when spotting and stalking, sitting, calling, silent hunt, bow, ml, gun...so on. Equally I have also hunted unsuccessfully in all these forms. I can say with all certainity that all have lead to gain, lessons, skills, knowledge and ulitimately success. To me the harvest is 1 piece of the puzzle, the real meat(no pun intended) is getting to that point. Hunting for me is like a kid at christmas, setting out the goods, checking the list, being nice(so the wife doesn't beek), fake sleeping in anticipation of what awaits one in the morning under the tree, along the tree or whatever you call your spot. Wow what emotions all bawled up inside, eager, alive, life, excitment, anticipation, up, down..so on. What I see, feel, experience in a given day many would only dream of in a lifetime, as many of us will agree. Nobody can take those moments, experiences, smells, feelings, sights, etc away from me...nobody can cheapen those either. Again a personal sport in touch with oneself, nature, god if you believe or whatever and as such it really should not matter what other may think of how we like to experience this. I believe we all experience many of the same things just have different drives or ticks that make it our personal persuit.

I certainly can be accused of being involved in many a debate on equipment, tatics and so on and will be involved in the future. I find debate to be fine, fun, educational and frankly a part of life as while similar we are all different. However one can debate with out pointing, soapboxing or one uping, that is for school yard playgrounds. No need to push down to make oneself seem higher, a debate rarely has a clear winner it is a forum to voice, learn, listen and appeal but in the end you got to your corner and I go to min. I will simply say extend unto others what you wish to be extended to you. Sure have a opinion, voice that opinion, back up that opinion and talk it till the cows come home but open a can of worms by words or put downs expect dirt on your face.

Good hunting all.

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.