Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pics of fallow deer for James White

Old 10-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pics of fallow deer for James White

Story will follow. I do know it was shot in PG County of Md during the ML season

Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pics of fallow deer for James White

And another one

Old 10-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, what happened to the story? I was aware there were some free roaming fallows on in MD but have not heard of one being killed recently. thats a great buck, was he hunting for it specifically or was it a suprise?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:37 PM

thats crazy!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the pics I always wondered what fallow deer looked like.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Great pic, thanks for sharing!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot one way back in 1990. The meat is a red color and I thought just a little better tasting then whitetails
Old 10-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Sorry for taking so long with story,But I will make it short.
Fallow deer,Were a big thing in Southern Parts of Maryland many years back,for Meat farmers,Many had them break out,And up til a couple years ago,you could keep them with a DNR permit,Now with the CWD,The DNR has cracked down on people who have them and have seized quite a number of them,And many who had them,Decided ,instead of being fined,To just release them.

This one,Taken in an Area around Croom ,Southern Md. ,was about 7 miles from were one of the people let all there fallows go,about 7 years ago,Ruoghly about 15 were released.None were ever taken or even seen,til the other day,when a friend of mine,saw it out about 125 yards working a field,Knowing it was a buck,But amazed at what the heck it was,as it got closer,he was afraid to shoot it at first,thinking ,he didnt know what the heck was wrong with the deer (By it's looks) Being a good hunter,he realized that yes it was a deer,and since it was wierd and all magled looking to him,he felt it was better off,shooting it,when it came in about 65 yards with his ML.When he called and brought it in,He said I got a deer,but I do not know what the heck it is...lol

So I aged it at 5.3 years and field dressed at 185.32 lbs.

Yes ,he is going to mount it,And we already tryed some burger as it was being cut up,and I have to say,It has a great taste.

Though yall would like to see a pic of a 'Fallow Deer" since I know alot of you havnt seen one.And thanks To Rick for posting pics.

Have a great day,
Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

How can you shoot a deer that you do NOT have a tag for??? Isnt that illegal, thats like me having a whitetail tag for ohio and shooting an elk that came up from kentucky!! How about the legalities of this hole situations?? Please give me details.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:47 AM

Fallow Deer are "Legal" to kill in Maryland and count against your White tail Deer Bag limit.

From the Md.DNR LAW

Fallow Deer
Fallow deer may be taken in place of white-tailed deer during each of the seasons. Fallow deer have escaped from captivity and are found in a few isolated areas in Maryland.

Quick Reply: Pics of fallow deer for James White

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.