Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting on the exhale???

Old 10-24-2004, 07:17 AM

Default shooting on the exhale???

Although in warm weather it is next to impossible to do this, i've learned recently that if you shoot a deer (or any animal for that matter) while it is exhaling it will pass out and drop due to not having any oxygen in it's lungs and not being capable of breathing any in after it's hit. have you guys/gals ever heard of this??
Old 10-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shooting on the exhale???

The only time ive heard of shooting on the exhale is for the person doing the shooting. exhale and hold its your stillest moment.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:47 AM

yes, i realize this but it is also best to shoot a deer while it is exhaling. try it sometime.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:56 AM

It does work I had a big doe bust me while I was aiming at her and she huffed at me about the time I shot and she dropped in her tracks , during field dressing I found that I had only hit her in one lung but she still dropped at the spot. So I try to shoot em on the exhale if possible. This doe was 170lbs dressed.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:26 PM

at 150 yards away, how can you tell if they're on an exhale?? also, most shots Ive had, I didnt have time to watch and see for exhale, or inhale for that matter.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

how can you tell if they're on an exhale
I never heard of this, however if its cold outside and you can see there breathe then i would say that would be the time to trip the release or squeeze the trigger! I shoot when i exhale, thats how the Marines taught us.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: TURKEY FAN

thats how the Marines taught us.
Yep, right at the end of your exhale.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:57 PM

well obviously at 150 yards it's going to be hard to tell and in warm weather forget about it. basically if it's cold outside (which 9 out of 10 seasons around here it is 20 degrees or lower) then you can see by their breath when they are exhaling. i shoot the majority of my deer at 75 yards or below because i hunt thick terrain in small openings. i'm just trying to make a point that if you can tell, then try to hit em' when they are exhaling, the results are unbelievable!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Man, you guys are cooler (I mean in the patient, under control sense) than me! I'd have a hard time waiting and observing such subtle sign once I had the gun on target. My first thought is that if you're looking at the balance sheet of good things and bad things, the potential for bad because of the thing moving or spooking while you're waiting for that exhale far out weigh the good of a potentially quicker drop. Both are potential effects and I just don't see an over riding reason to wait, once you have a good shot.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I've seen video of animals shot thru both lungs and even after they go down, some of them keep breathing. blowing fountains of blood into the air. I think it's just the luck of the draw. And I'd rather make sure I actually hit it where I intend to.

David

Quick Reply: shooting on the exhale???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.