Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Whitetail with hounds

Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Hunting Whitetail with hounds

ORIGINAL: Georgetownboys

JMO . . .but to me if you want to use dogs why not just set the woods on fire and wait on the other side. . . seems just about as sporting. I know we try to provide positive feed back in these forums but I just can't get my arms around using dogs to hunt for you.

Sorry. . .[:'(]
It's obvious that you have no idea about hunting traditions and accepted practices that you personally aren't acquainted with. OK, what do you think of deer feeders? Bear Baiting? Trapping? Using dogs for hogs or 'coons? Fox hunting with dogs? Have you ever heard of hunting pigs with dogs but without guns (I'll give you a hint: it involves the dogs holding the pig's ears and the hunter using a knife on the pigs throat - and it's the "only" way pigs are hunted in some places).

I don't do any of these things because they don't ring my chime (yes, I admit it, I PERSONALLY don't like the style of that sort of hunting), but they are well accepted and traditional means of hunting and where legal, are just fine - for those that chose to do it.

Suggesting it's on the same level as burning the woods to flush an animal is pretty rich and closed minded imho. It's like a fly fisherman saying a bait fisherman might as well throw dynamite in the lake.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Georgetownboys

JMO . . .but to me if you want to use dogs why not just set the woods on fire and wait on the other side. . . seems just about as sporting. I know we try to provide positive feed back in these forums but I just can't get my arms around using dogs to hunt for you.

Sorry. . .[:'(]
Your statement reveals that you have never hunted with dogs. When a buck is chased by dogs, he still as smart as the one that walks by your stand. Most of the time a buck is jumped, he takes off and the hunter follows the dogs. The next time the deer is seen, it's a doe. The bucks know how to put the dogs on another deer's track.

Have you ever tried to jump a buck in his bed? In the places I have hunted, it's so thick that you almost have to step on the deer to get them to move. 2 seconds later you can't see them.

Believe me, there are easier ways to kill a deer. I haven't dog hunted in 20 years, but I do have some fond memories.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:51 PM

I can understand that you think it seems unfair Timbercreek.We don't have food plots up here and it's all hardwood bush and swamps.We don't hunt near farmers fields either.To me it always seems boring to be sitting in a tree stand.Then waiting to ambush a deer while it eats or is on it's way to food.We walk about 8 miles a day through every corner of thick bush we can find(tiring).With the dogs the deer can stay well ahead of them without any trouble and most of the time loose the dog altogether.It is very exciting hearing the howls of the dog coming your way.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

We mock what we don't understand. I used to have slight negative feelings about the dog issue myself. Then I joined a camp that use them. Now we have some areas we push with the dogs late in the week but around the camp we do a lot of stand hunting and I must admit I enjoy that more.

the dog hunts however are NOT any easier!!! The dogs will confirm there is deer in the bush when you hear them get on a trail. That doesn't automatically mean you're about to start shooting deer. The deer will lots of time find there way through you regardless of how well you've set up your standers. they also will sometime push them to you but at 100 miles an hour! We only shoot safe shots we are comfortable making and so i have seen bucks just about run guys over. when asked why they didn't shoot the asnswer is always because they didn't feel they could make a good shot. (Ya, I know some guys just blaze away and hope to hit something but they do that from tree stands as well).

I've seen (or more accurately heard) deer run dogs in circles over creeks and swamps until it seems they dissappear never showing themselves to the standers. the dogs eventually come out of the bush with thier tongues dragging and a bewildered look in thier eyes.

Yes, sometimes they chase in the bush and a deer will come sneaking out right in front of you for an easy shot and it seems easy. That is defintley not all the time!

I have been standing there waiting and all of a sudden you hear the dogs from a mile away start "tonguing". Your heart rate goes up a notch. Then the sound starts heading your way. Your heart rate goes up another notch. then you know they are coming right at you and the hair on the back of your neck stands up! Then you hear crashing in the bush and you think you're hearts going to pound out of your chest. Suddenly the sound takes a hard right just before it hits the open clearing your watching over. next thing you know the sounds of the dogs gets further and further away......

That is an example of an unsuccesful dog hunt but man it is exciting!
Old 10-15-2004, 02:07 PM

You are so right OntElk.Most of the chases the deer do just that.We had a deer 3 years ago come straight down the line 100yrds away in thick bush and as soon as it passed the last stander(7th guy) the deer turned straight north/west into the wind.It knew exactly where we all were.Even with three blueticks on it with tons of pressure it kept it's cool.

Also the last run last year a buck was chased for 35 minutes in a swamp in circles by our hound blue.The buck came within 80 feet of me but wouldn't come out of the swamp into the hardbush.(could hear the buck running past me).He just kept doing circles to loose the dog.Blue got a steak for dinner that night..ha ha

It was awsome though,very exciting.

Dave
Old 10-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Zekstar touched on some of my opinions. What is so all fired "fair" about sitting in a tree watching a trail, food plot, waterhole, agriculture field, scrape, or scent drag trail with a bow or rifle? Just because someone doesn't legally hunt the same way you do, don't condemn it.