Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer day problems already

Old 10-06-2004, 03:33 AM

Default deer day problems already

i've been hunting with my father every year for the last 17 years. he has a 12-year old daughter to another marriage, i have a 12-year old son.........it is the first hunting season for both of them. my dad and i have always hunted the same woods for the majority of those 17 years. he has always been the type of hunter that just shows up in the woods on the first day of deer, no scouting no nothing. he usually gets a deer. me on the other hand enjoys the scouting part of it and i scout all year round. my dad has recently met a guy who offered to take us and the kids up on his land and drop us off in his spots with his four wheeler. i don't want to do this. i want to show my son the rewards of scouting but at the same time i don't want to give up the tradition that my father and i have shared all of these years. what should i do??
Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer day problems already

Stick with your dad, thats the most important thing. Do the scouting thing with your kid seperate. Kids are resilient and just want to be with you and Gramps. the scouting and teaching thing can be seperate from the actual hunting area just explain this to the boy/girl.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 AM

If you have a chance for an invite to hunt some new land TAKE IT. Your son will still have many opportunities to learn the joy the scouting etc. Just explain that this invite was scouted for you by this very nice and generous person.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

You've got many opening days to share with your son. Not so many to share with your dad.

Take your son scouting when your dad is not with you.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:47 PM

Stay with your dad, he won't be around some day and you will miss him!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:13 PM

Stick with your dad. those times go by way to fast. get as many hunting days with him as you can. some day sooner than you think, they will all be a memory. I long for the days my dad used to go hunting with me.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Hay I,m the Dad in this senario and you guys make me feel like I have one foot in the grave, but I agree with you all. 54 and hunting/fishing with my son and daughter for many years to come!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

stick with your dad