Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

grunting and rattling???

Old 10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default grunting and rattling???

was wondering if anybody brings a couple grunt calls out in the woods like turkey hunters do with hen calls. and is there a bad and good grunt calls and whats ur guys favorite?? also whats hows ur grunting technique vary during rut pre rut post rut?? and when do u like smacking the horns toghter with some grunts? aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd thats all folks!!!

Good Hunting
Old 10-04-2004, 09:28 PM

Default RE: grunting and rattling???

I don't use a grunt when rattling, never needed it, the bucks come in to rattling. Just one more thing to carry.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought a grunt that makes about 7 different calls all in one, just adjust a o-ring on the reed and it changes from mature buck to fawn quickly. It also doesn't freeze since you inhale into it instead of exhaling. JDinAB
Old 10-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I use a grunt in addition to rattling but rattling is by far the main thing.

The grunt comes in handy if I want to stop a deer (when it's walking into cover or I just want to get a better look...or just for fun really). Sure, they stop and look if you just whistle at them but if they're hot on the trail of a doe the grunt is better for getting (and keeping) their attention. The grunt I have is a doe bleat when I suck air in so it works well in those situations.

BTW, the one I've got is a Knight & Hale EZ-GRUNT-ER "PLUS" DOE BLEAT. It wasn't a very good choice for here in SK cause it freezes up too easily but I get by with it with infrequent use.