Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

should i let my 12-year old shoot a...........

Old 10-04-2004, 09:51 AM

Default should i let my 12-year old shoot a...........

buck that is less than 3 points on one side??? this is actually sub-topic of my BIG bucks in pa post. the way it is now, kids 12-16 years old can shoot bucks with one point on one side of his head that is atleast 3" in length, liscense holders "of age" is required to shoot a deer with atleast 3 points on one side. i like the new rule and need to make a descision. thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: should i let my 12-year old shoot a...........

Sure let him get the expirience. It's legal for him and will keep his intrest high.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would-if the boy wants to. from everything i've read, the reason the pa law makes the exception for kids is to keep them interested. they're the future-get them hooked now. my boy will be 12 next season, and if it's legal for him, and he wants to take it, i'll let him.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why wouldn't you, it's legal,right?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:37 AM

Unless he doesn't want to.......HECK YA!!! I'm a big QDM guy, but I'm also a HUGE proponant of letting kids(under 16), older folks and disabled shoot whatever the heck they want that's legal. What will keep kids hunting year after year that don't necessarily come from a hunting family? Field sucess. Kids need to get shooting experience under their belt to say the least. But it's not only shooting that smaller buck that "should" make the difference. It's the mentor along with them. Let's say the kid shoots something...even if the mentor knows where the animal is down but the kid doesn't, turn it into a good tracking teaching tool. Teach them how to look for blood, turning over of leaves, all the way down the line. Teach the kid something that will stick in his mind for years to come and make them better woodsman. Not just shooters!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM

What state do you live in?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Stump_MN_Hunter

Unless he doesn't want to.......HECK YA!!! I'm a big QDM guy, but I'm also a HUGE proponant of letting kids(under 16), older folks and disabled shoot whatever the heck they want that's legal. What will keep kids hunting year after year that don't necessarily come from a hunting family? Field sucess. Kids need to get shooting experience under their belt to say the least. But it's not only shooting that smaller buck that "should" make the difference. It's the mentor along with them. Let's say the kid shoots something...even if the mentor knows where the animal is down but the kid doesn't, turn it into a good tracking teaching tool. Teach them how to look for blood, turning over of leaves, all the way down the line. Teach the kid something that will stick in his mind for years to come and make them better woodsman. Not just shooters!
Excellent post. That should sum it up nicely.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say tell him it is legal and a fine deer. There is no substitute for a successful hunt to hook a kid for life. He will only grow from the experience and the thrill of succeeding in a very challenging situation. We all start somewhere and putting too high an expectation on a young beginner teaches all the wrong things. Any buck to a young hunter is truly a trophy.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to let my 10 and 13 year old grandsons shoot anything they want to on my lands (anything other than spotted fawns are legal).
Old 10-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I say definately. Also a doe if he has the proper tag and is willing to shoot. A young hunter need the experience. That way, when Mr. Big does show up maybe he won't fall to pieces.
Anyway, they all eat the same and you can't eat horns. Safety and the hunting enjoyment/experience is what counts not the size of the rack.

Quick Reply: should i let my 12-year old shoot a...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.