Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

can u guys please help me out here??

Old 09-27-2004, 02:27 PM

Default can u guys please help me out here??

im going hog hunting with my brother and im using a 12 gauge 28'' and im plan on using a 3'' 00 buckshot should that work on a 100-200 lbs hog at about 15-40 yards?? if not what would ? please help
Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: can u guys please help me out here??

Personally, I'd go with slugs over buckshot. You'd probably be alright, but a slug carries a whole lot more energy.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

What choke are you shooting? I would think you'd be ok if you're shooting a full choke, or at least a tight enough choke to get at least 60-75% pattern in a 10" circle.

I would rather use a slug too. Even a smoothbore w/ rifled slug should be able to deliver good enough accuracy at 40 yds.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 PM

im using a full choke but i aint tested the shells out yet what are some good shells u think work ok ????
Old 09-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch yourself when shooting buckshot from a full choke. In some chokes, the muzzle is too narrow so the balls get restricted, usually you get bad groups from "sailing" caused by the flat faces pressed and dimples pressed into the balls by the muzzle walls and the other shot respectively, although I have seen a bulged bbl in a goose gun caused by this. If you run a few test patterns you should be able to determine whether your choke is appropriate or not.

Personally I would use slugs (at which point you DON'T use a full choke), they give much better down range power and accuracy. For REALLY close hogs it's nice to have buckshot, but for 15-40yrds, I'd suggest slugs.

(You might want to somewhat alternate rounds, load a slug in the chamber, follow it with shot, follow that with a slug, then shot and more shot. In my hog shotgun, I have a selector lever that lets you load from the mag or like a single shot, I load all but one round of shot in the mag, put a slug in the chamber and top off the mag with a slug. That way I've got two accurate shots, but if I NEED shot for close action or saving my own butt, I've got it at a second's notice.)
Old 09-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I myself have never been a fan of shotguns for hoofed animals, not to say they dont work but here in texas we just have a different opinion on what to use. I myself would opt for a 22 magnum scoped, put it right behind the ear, or an open sighted lever action 30-30., these to me would be a better choice for the distances your talking about. to me the buckshot seems like it would make a mess, maybe even get into the stomach area. Anyway that just my $.02
Old 09-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I would go with the LightField slugs

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com

Good Luck
Old 09-29-2004, 09:57 AM

do i use a rifled slug in my smooth bore or a sabot slug ???????
Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM

i got a mossberg mavrick 28' what slugs would work best ?????

Quick Reply: can u guys please help me out here??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.