Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sierra gamekings for deer?

Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default sierra gamekings for deer?

I have a 30.06. Would 165 grain gameking boattails be good for deer?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: sierra gamekings for deer?

Yes, that will do quite nicely. That is an excellent bullet. You can also use a 150gr bullet as well, you'll get a little more speed out of it. Of course it's all bullet placement, if you put it through his heart and lungs it really doesnt matter what you shoot him with but I would say you are definately good to go. good luck.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:36 PM

yes!! i shoot the same thing there great i use them alot they make very good long range bullets to well good luck -davidbwilliams
Old 09-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 30.06. Would 165 grain gameking boattails be good for deer?

thats exactly what I used and recommend to people lookin for a good long range factory loading, Now I hand load 165 gr BTHP Gamekings for my .308. Honestly any 30 cal. expanding style bullet will work great on deer size game. you really dont have to worry about bullet designs untill you start getting into larger game like elk and moose.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:00 AM

they suck in my opinion, i shot them out of a 270 and the bullet didnt expand at all, if you dont hit bone with it then forget it, the bullet will go in the size of a dime and out the size of a dime, my 2 cent
Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a lot of deer with these, I loaded 59 grains of IMR 4831 behind the gameking boattail 150 grain. They worked great for me.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:55 AM

I'm with HighDW on this one. I've loaded thousands of the 165 HPBT Gamekings over the years and they are outstanding! Don't worry about a few extra fps with the 150's, go for the accuracy. These 165's hit hard and anchor whatever it is you hit.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Sierra Pro-Hunter. They expand a little better than the Game King in my expierence. I shoot the 120 in the 6.5x55 and the 280. I shoot the 150 Pro-hunters in the 308 and 30-06.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

they suck in my opinion, i shot them out of a 270 and the bullet didnt expand at all, if you dont hit bone with it then forget it, the bullet will go in the size of a dime and out the size of a dime, my 2 cent
So you mean to tell us every gameking you shot a deer with that didnt hit a solid bone or the shoulder which more then likely passed all the way through the animal, you went and recovered the slug from the tree 150 yards on the other side of the deer????
Old 10-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every gameking I ever shot at a deer I never was able to recover a bullet, Frankly I never really cared too. every deer i shot never had run further then 40 yards and they were all dead with one shot. DEAD IS DEAD no matter how you put it. If you are judging a bullets expansion by the entrance and exit wound on a deer. Im sorry to say that is highly ignorant and is an entirely inaccurate way to judge a bullets expansion capabilities. I have a feeling you are just passing on some He said she said BS, that you over heard your alcoholic Hill Billy uncle say.

Quick Reply: sierra gamekings for deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.