Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Terlet

Old 09-24-2004, 06:57 AM

Default RE: Terlet

ORIGINAL: Bruce H

We also do the bear-in-the-woods thing.

But, when I was in Viet Nam on a firebase, we used modified outhouses. They had a back door to slide a cut-off 55 gallon drum under the seat that had about 4" of diesel fuel in it. NO SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every now and then we would pull out the barrel and toss in some paper to start it burning and everything would burn up; occaisionally would stir it with a long fence post while it was burning.

Surely some of you other Viet Nam vets must remember this wonderful job?

Did I mention NO SMOKING??????????????????

Bruce
I haven't thought about those in a while. When I was in the first Gulf War I was the junior ranking sergeant in my troop, so my squad was assigned the latrine burn pit detail (commonly known as the sh** detail.) For those of you who have never experienced the olifactory joy of crap and urine mixed with diesel being burned in 110 degree weather, it is not any fun. I nearly had a mutiny on my hands after the first day. That night I got all my guys together and told them they could either continue on the detail, or we could all pitch in $2 and hire some Kurds to do it. Every morning at about 10:00 am me or one of my guys would go to the guard post at the front of our camp and hire 4 Kurds to complete the sh** detail.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

They still did that in the Gulf War? I would have thought they'd have a better way of handling that problem by now!

Bruce
Old 09-27-2004, 06:50 PM

We also do the bear-in-the-woods thing.

But, when I was in Viet Nam on a firebase, we used modified outhouses. They had a back door to slide a cut-off 55 gallon drum under the seat that had about 4" of diesel fuel in it. NO SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every now and then we would pull out the barrel and toss in some paper to start it burning and everything would burn up; occaisionally would stir it with a long fence post while it was burning.

Surely some of you other Viet Nam vets must remember this wonderful job?

Did I mention NO SMOKING??????????????????

Bruce

Now, on occasion I have been known to smoke a cigarette while on the throne, said cigarette when finished is discarded between the legs and to the side of anything important. The diesel fuel idea........is an official no. [8D]

What are ya tryin to kill me!?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: davidhardegree

Mount a toilet seat on a bucket and dig a hole for the contents. Just an idea[:'(]

This is just about where we're at. I'm thinking of maybe a potty chair (the adult sized medical type) and a tarp. The chair has a bucket in it for the mess which you can just put a bag in to ease the clean up. The outhouse is a good idea but would cost more than we want to spend. The bucket with a toilet seat is also a good idea, but I'm not sure how sturdy it would be. A few of us go better than 250.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:46 AM
etw

INCINOLET If you have electricity the incinolet is the cats meow. Check it out at www.incinolet.com Build your outhouse but forget about all the digging, diesel fuel etc. The Incinolet works great. We have the basic model (110v) they also make a 220v unit. The unit weighs about 85 lbs, its all stainless steel. You line the "bowl" with a plastic covered paper "liner" before each use. When your finished you depress a foot pedal and your load drops down into the pit. Then you push a button and the incineration begins. The heater cycles off and on for about an hour and the blower continues for about 55 minutes. Outside, the smell is like someone burning trash. Inside, very minimal odor. If another person wants to use the toilet while its in cycle, no problem. Just line the bowl, do your business, depress the foot pedal and start a new cycle by pressing the button. The ash bowl after a long weekend with four of us is about the size of an apple. ASHES no problem, emty them in your trash (when cool). The unit needs a 4" vent pipe, they provide the pipe with the Incinolet. Clean, Sanitary and LEGAL. In many parts of the country the Outhouse is no longer legal you need holding tanks etc.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:59 AM

We had good chemical toilets at our base camp in Silopi, Turkey, but we spent about nine months in Iraq working in forward camps that did not have all the amenities of home.

They still did that in the Gulf War? I would have thought they'd have a better way of handling that problem by now!

Bruce
Old 09-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

We pretty much use the same method for hunting camps as we doo on cattle drives...basically a spade with a wing nut on a bolt to hold the handle on, a roll of TP slid over the shaft and the handle reinstalled. You can make a stool from a bucket with a hole cut in it, just dig a hole, set the bucket over it, and doo your business. When you're done, just bury it back up.

Dig about a foot and a half or better, and don't make your hole too much bigger than it needs to be since you're going to be digging multiple holes in the same area. Works for us nicely, and there's no clean up or dumping afterwards.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: etw

INCINOLET If you have electricity the incinolet is the cats meow. Check it out at www.incinolet.com Build your outhouse but forget about all the digging, diesel fuel etc. The Incinolet works great. We have the basic model (110v) they also make a 220v unit. The unit weighs about 85 lbs, its all stainless steel. You line the "bowl" with a plastic covered paper "liner" before each use. When your finished you depress a foot pedal and your load drops down into the pit. Then you push a button and the incineration begins. The heater cycles off and on for about an hour and the blower continues for about 55 minutes. Outside, the smell is like someone burning trash. Inside, very minimal odor. If another person wants to use the toilet while its in cycle, no problem. Just line the bowl, do your business, depress the foot pedal and start a new cycle by pressing the button. The ash bowl after a long weekend with four of us is about the size of an apple. ASHES no problem, emty them in your trash (when cool). The unit needs a 4" vent pipe, they provide the pipe with the Incinolet. Clean, Sanitary and LEGAL. In many parts of the country the Outhouse is no longer legal you need holding tanks etc.

This is a really good idea, but I almost needed a terlet when I saw the price. I'd have to keep grunting on a tree before I could pay this much.
Would be a cool toy though.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:48 PM

Here is my outhouse, works fine for us and was easy to build