Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do i get them in and get em to stay...help!

Old 09-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Default RE: how do i get them in and get em to stay...help!

We have an old 80 acre farm and we don't have many deer stay on it because we don't have any thickets on the farm. However, it is surrounded by thicket and the deer really use the farm for feeding. We kill plenty. To really get them to stay and not just use, you must provide them with a security area. 20 acres is kind of small to expect them to stay on.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:27 PM

Default RE: how do i get them in and get em to stay...help!

one thing about small land plots that you have to remeber; if people are hunting the larger plots around you and you have thick cover that isn't bothered you WILL have deer that will stay on your land all season until you push them out. here is where a large thicket or swamp and a small food plot will help you out.

i have seen land smaller then yours hold monster bucks because hunters have pushed them in there. and i have killed and seen many deer hunting those small plots. and one thing i think helps is not to hunt that area the first day. let it sit and allow the deer to move around then the second morning i like to sit near the thickets and then hunt the food plots later in the day.

that is what i would do anyhow.