Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is it me or am i a wimp

Old 09-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default is it me or am i a wimp

Was out trying my climber stand today. I dont know if is me but it takes some work to get that thing up the tree.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:02 PM

Default RE: is it me or am i a wimp

You want an honest answer?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Takes practice. Stick with it, it gets easier.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

Was out trying my climber stand today. I dont know if is me but it takes some work to get that thing up the tree.
it seems like work until you do it 90+ times a year, its like anything else, you get the feel for it, then its natural. just remember take your time at first, make sure you are anchored in top or bottom before you make that next climb, one of my first times out 6 or 7 years ago, I was climbing and my bottom part wasnt anchored in real good, it gave way, luckily my armpits caught me on my top part. I was shook up pretty bad from that, just remember take you time!!!! After a while you'll be able to do it in the dark without a flashlight, the "feeling" will come to ya!!! Good luck.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Be sure and have the top and bottom tied together with a rope so you don't loose the bottom half up or down the tree.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

it will get easier, but some climber are simply easier to use. the sit and stand climb of my ole man stands is no trouble at all, some of the other like with the hand climber were you have to pull the rest of your body up are very tuff... and like hawgnman said always and i mean always tie the two parts together. cause if you think its tuff now try it w/o the platform[:-]
Old 09-05-2004, 03:32 PM

i think it is cause your a wimp lol

it gets a lot easyier as you do it more.

cause if you think its tuff now try it w/o the platform
one day i was about 14-16 feet up a tree when the bottom fell to the ground . i was screwed!!!!! took me about and hour to get down....i always tie the two together now!. i wish someone would have told me about that before that day..[&:]
Old 09-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

its kinda funny, it seems everybody that has ever used a climber can tell that kind of story. i could also tell some about scaley(sp) bark hickory trees and pine tree's. the main thing with a climber is to be careful and take your time.....
Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know what your talking about.....i never used one in my life....but went to film my buddy bowhunt and he let me use one....and we had trees side by side.....they were cherry trees....well not real cherry trees...little berrys grow on it.....maybe choke cherrys...the berries look like cherries but are small and have a big pit.....but the bark is the scaliest tehre is.....when i did this i was a pretty strong kid for my age....i could outlift any normal man out in the woods.....and my legs were my strongest point.....but MAN.......i tohught iwas gunna die climbing a tree....but it just took practice...angle you hold the foot thingy and the way you stand up and just they way you do everything makes all the diffrence....expecially on a scally tree.....keep practicin ull get used to it.......
Old 09-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

Naw, not a wimp. just doing something wrong.
Remember that trees get skinnier as they go up. Adjust your seat and floor so they are on an upward angle. As you go up they level off some, but should still be slightly angled up, even at your chosen height. Don't try to take too much of a bite, if you are stretching alot you will start to sweat and that aint good. When I used a climber I would take a couple bites, then rest for 2 minutes and so on. The part about angling the platform is probably most important because it will lock in place alot easier and sink much less. What brand do you have?

Quick Reply: is it me or am i a wimp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.