Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high should I set up my tree stand?

Old 08-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Default How high should I set up my tree stand?

This will be my third season and I want to hunt from a tree stand this time around. Can you recommend a stand for shotgun hunting and how high should I set up? I hunt on the edge of some woods looking out towards a cornfield. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:20 PM

Default RE: How high should I set up my tree stand?

you will get a wide range of answers for this question.

i have used stands as low as 10 ft. i am sitting this year in a 15 ft stand.

a lot of people like to get up around 15-20 ft.

it depends on what you are comfortable in... always be safe.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:38 PM

i like to set up about 15-25 feet depending on cover, how nice the tree is, etc etc. some times it is worse to be high because of low treetops. you have to find the height you like the most.

are you going to buy a climber? or one you just hang for the season with steps??

as far as climbing stands go there is a wide varity. i just got a summit mega buck python and it is pretty nice. also i have a lone wolf and that is very nice to carry for long walks.

you don't need to start off with a expensive climber just one to get used to it all so i would recumend you look at the cabelas SS lounger, mega bucks bushmaster,cabelas X-T elite extreme,ol' man, these all can be found at cabelas for around $100. however there are many more out there for under $150 that are very good
Old 08-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from stands with seat height of 8 - 30 feet . It all depends on your comfort and the lay of the land , the tree the stand is in and the need to see over or under limbs ect . Let the tree tell you how high to go . I like to be 15 up .
Old 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

its a personal thing really however high YOU feel compfortable going is what i would do.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

with a rifle id say go as high as your comfortable but with a shot gun id say stay kinda low since you wont be making any extreme distance shots
Old 08-19-2004, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

Bottom of the climber at 12 feet is about all I can be comfortable with. Any higher I get the willies. I use a summit Viper XLS works great. Always use the safety gear with the climber and take your TIME!!!. I feel comfortable in either of two 15' ladder stands. My permenant wooden stand is 16 feet to the platform with rails and a climb through hole and plug set up.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with Rusty. The range is limited with a shotgun..... It’s also personal preference thing and how comfortable you’re at the height you set up.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason we hunt from a treestand is obviously scent related. Personally, I feel the higher the better. This is determined by terraine etc but if you can get 20+ feet of the ground, it should be better then 15 feet. I go as high as I can but never above 30 feet. I feel that, under normal conditions, the higher I am the better chance the deer will not detect my scent. Also, if any hunter is "afraid of heights", 12 feet off the ground is better than ground level.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in NJ w/a shotgun and my gun stand is about 25 feet up--a little high but needed b/c I am looking over a cedar field with some breaks. I think that most of our club hunts from 15 ft to 25 ft with 15ft being the most common.

Quick Reply: How high should I set up my tree stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.