Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeding deer apples

Old 08-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default feeding deer apples

I have this apple tree in my backyard. I was thinking about useing some of these apples to feed the deer in my woods. If I put them out around one of my stands right now will that help me by the time season rolls around which by the way starts october 1? If I did set some apples out would the deer tend to avoid that area since there are no apple trees in this woods?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: feeding deer apples

if ya put the apples around, the deer will come. that is how it is here anyway. thats called baiting. people across the US put out corn. do you think the deer care if the corn is in the middle of a bunch of cedars? my .02
Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 PM

Grab a wash bucket, the kind that are about 3 feet in diameter, drill about 20 holes in the bottom to drain water out, fill it with apples and carrots, bust up a salt lick and place large chunks in the washer. Take washer, stick on side of well traveled trail. Put a few cinder blocks under washer to keep it off ground.
Refill every weekend. Have cam to take pics of movement.
Repeat weekly.
Kill buck.
Repeat yearly.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Be sure to check the game laws. Here in Minnesota it's illegal to hunt over bait. I presume that if the bait was removed just prior to the season, it would be legal. But, again, it's probably a good idea to check.

Bruce
Old 08-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

That's illegal in NY. I hunt in an apple orchard which is an easier way to "bait" them. I do try to make sure there are apples around my stand though or move my stand near a tree that has a lot of apples.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:29 AM

I live in nova scotia and for the past 15 years, everybody here uses apple piles and trust me it works. just take a few bags and try it. put them where you see the most deer sign and if the deer are in the area within a few days they will come to the apples and when the deer know the apples are there the will keep coming to the apples almost every day
Old 08-16-2004, 02:07 PM

I have a friend that has a pear tree and it is loaded every year. I have the same luck with pears as most people do with the apples. The deer just love the pears. I had a buck eating them last year and would not let any does get them. He kept them ran off.