Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS IN THE WOODS, I.E SMELL, SIGHTS,SOUNDS??

Old 08-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS IN THE WOODS, I.E SMELL, SIGHTS,SOUNDS??

after watching a hunting show tonight it reminded me of another favorite, sitting in the woods when its dead silent cant hear traffic or anything and then all of a sudden you hear and see squirrels running in the trees and when its like that and you hear nothing but crows calling off in the distance
Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS IN THE WOODS, I.E SMELL, SIGHTS,SOUNDS??

Where i hunt you can see the ohio river, and i also like to hear the barges blow there horn, and there is a clock tower somewhere.....i think across the river in augusta ky, but it plays music at noon, and chimes on every hour....that is how i keep track of time, no matter where i am in the woods i can always here the clock and it tells me what time it is.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, there are so many great things to experience out in the woods that it's difficult to narrow them down to favorites. Well, I can at least try.

Sight: The sun rising over frosty woods and fields.
Smell: Fresh country air!
Sound: This is a tough one--either the wind gently rustling the trees, or perhaps the babble of a small brook in the middle of the woods.

There are certainly other things I enjoy, like the colorful leaves during squirrel season, the hoot of an owl in the crisp air, the smell of earth and dried leaves, etc.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

The crunching of leaves of a buck you can't quite see or the first gobble you hear on opening morning. Also teh sound of beer cans popping around the fire the night before deer season with all my hunting buddies. Fun times!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad always smokes tobacco in a pipe after he has killed a deer and has it back at camp. Dad is getting older now...I hope I get to smell the pipe tobacco burning for many more years. When i was younger, he did everything he could to make sure i got a deer. As time has gone on...now I make sure he gets a deer or at least has an opportunity to take one. Funny how things change when you get older.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:09 AM

wow you guys/ gals should right a book together. it would send shivers down any hunters spine just thinkin of everything about the woods.

i love the smell of wet cedar (which i have a treestand), the sight of any wildlife, the shock of a deer that you have no idea how it got soo close without u noticing, (HOW DO THEY DO THAT!!!?) i love it when you can almost smell a doe in heat out on the field. then the snap of a twig after the does are all out onto the field... you know its a buck. the crash of antlers. and something that is awesome, following a good blood trail and walkin up to your deer and start to pass out because you are so in shock and so happy (to say the least) that you forgot to breathe.

THATS WHAT HUNTINGS ABOUT!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the above and the fact the we ALL experience that peacefulness the man upstairs has created. Good Luck to all this fall & may you be blessed with a great season & many good experiences in the woods.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waiting till pitch dark to get down and then walking out in the dark and hitting pockets of warm air in the woods. Something eerie and mystic about the new night with the sounds of insects getting busy. Having deer just stand there while you walk, Knowing that they are safe now cuz you can't see like they can. Walking very slow now because you don't want it to end.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

hitting pockets of warm air in the woods.
Man that is a creepy thing to feel at night, i hate it when that happens........freaks me out