Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you launder your hunting clothes?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you launder your hunting clothes?

i was either in baking soda or scent away, then i store them in a scent free container with cedar and hedge apples for the early season.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:16 AM

I use scent killing detergent, and then I run it through the dryer with a earth scent sheet.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Idont,I hang them on the wash line and let the rain do it and then let them dry in my neighbors horse stall.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:05 AM

We have a creek that runs near our house, I go get a 5 gallon bucket of creek water and use a box of baking soda. I put all my clothes in there and use my hands to swish them around. hang them outside to dry, then they go in a container and stay out in the shed.

I do my socks last since they contaminate the water the most!!!

I feel that 1) you can never get ALL of the detergent scent out of your washing machine and 2) the water we use is treated/chlorinated or whatever, but it has a different smell. Good ol creek water is what the deer are used to smelling.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I use un-scented ALL detergent and let them hang dry outside. I usually let them dry outside as it seems the scent from outside blends in with the cloths. I just started bow hunting and i haven't got a deer yet, but last season i had a few come up pretty close but didn't get a good shot. (behind me).
Old 08-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use "Alll free" detergent. It has no perfumes, dyes, and no scent that I can smell. Plus you get about 10 times the amout than if you buy Hunters specialty or another hunter detergent. It has served me well for years.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM

i have had the same pair of wool pants and coat. and i sprayed doe in heat scent on them about 10 years ago.. and when i am done at the end of the year.. i take them off and put them in a plastic bag.. and stuff them back in the locker in the back room.. and when the hunting season comes again next year i take them out . put them on and wear them again. i have never washed my coat or my wool pants since the day i bought them 10 years ago.. and i get a deer everyyear.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wash on the longest cycle-plain water then hang outside (sometimes for days)& then put in my camo cloths bag & into my hunting vehicle .
If I am away & hunting out of state I wash them the same way & always try & hang outside. I am concious of house scents-food, scented things.
I used to pack them in leaves from area I hunt. I also used to carry in a pack until I was about 100 yds. from my stand & then change cloths so I had less body oder.
I do not use any artificial coverups on my cloths or while Bowhunting but do use sex deer scents-deer drag ect. good luck to all this fall.